The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I dislike tillage but there are few choices for dealing with ruts, compaction, herbicide resistant weeds, fields that are too wet to seed, alkali or excess residue. Of course its not always the same machine (disk, chisel plow, heavy harrow, vertical tillage, cultivator)

I prefer direct seeding and vertical tillage in concept. If tillage is a must, I'd rather till in the fall where we are located with a good chisel plow.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Survey didn't really work for me either.

I guess we do fall tillage, but it's with narrow points for fertilizer application. I put that under the "other" reason.

But then for the "soil conservation and management" question, "apply K fert" is a choice, "apply P fert" is a choice, but no option for "apply N fert". I left it blank.

Some of the yes/no answer questions need an "It Depends" option such as "Does no till help the following crop?" Well, for the last 10 years, I would say "no" - too darn much moisture! In the late 80's-mid 90's, "yes"!

I liked the "Which tool is best for tillage" question! I selected "Other" and put "Depends what you are trying to accomplish".

Oh well, I don't think my answers will really help but I put in my 2¢ worth!

Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.