The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at trading combines. Toss up between a 7088 or a 7120. I know both are class 7 machines but is there any real world capacity difference between them. Very familiar with the 7088 style with the augers and rotor belt, etc. but no experience with the 7120 style. Looks like a rats nest of hoses and pipes when you lift the side panels. Are they farmer friendly to work on. If anyone has run both it would be great to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I vote for the 7088 . Your capacities will be very close to the same and you will have a more reliable machine. A 7088 is capable of handling 12 row corn heads and 40 ft drapers no sweat, if that is in the cards.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
If you're comfortable with the 88 style then you may be more at home with the 7088. It's a great machine.

So we've run both (2388 and then 7010 and now 7120). I feel like the 7120 is a bit simpler mechanically (but I could be very wrong). Fewer belts and chains. We've never had so much as a leak in the "rat's nest" of pumps and hoses in years. I have had two chopper bearings go out, and they are moderately difficult to replace if you've never done them before. In my opinion the chopper drive is the weakest link on the whole combine. A shaft within the chopper shaft takes power to the elevator and rethresher on the right hand side of the combine. The bearings that support these two shafts cause some guys a lot of grief, and some guys never knew there was an inner bearing to grease on the right-hand chopper bearing mount. Why they couldn't engineer a jackshaft that passed through the engine compartment or something, I don't know.

The rethresher changes the way you set the combine and makes rotor settings much more important in small grains on the 7120. Takes some getting used to. Many of us can share our experience and settings if you go that route.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.