The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I come to you all today to get your opinion on new combines. We have been a Gleaner farm for EVER and like the machines. However, we demoed a S780 JD this year and was pleasantly surprised. We currently run 4-R72's and 1-R75 and are looking to get down to 3 combines. We harvest winter wheat, durum, chickpeas, and lentils. We only got to try the JD out in the wheat, so I'm not sure how it does in the pulses?? Any opinions there would be great!! Currently the deal I'm working the new JDers are actually slightly cheaper then the Gleaners. I would love to stay Gleaner, but I'm NOT going to pay more for it.

First question is can 3-S98's do what my 5-R's can do?

Second question what are the reason for NOT going GREEN?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Actually I think Deere builds a pretty good combine but if you like the Gleaners you have I think you would be pleased with the S9's. To me Gleaner has made more improvements to their combines as of late than the rest.

I'm just going to be curious where you will be trading all of them 72's? My favorite combine of all time, lot of work to get them up to snuff but pretty rewarding when they are done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure where they will all end up, but if we go Gleaner they will be traded in Havre, MT. They are actually giving me a pretty fair trade in value...I think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seen Pulses come out of Case, Massey, NH and JD. All in all, it comes down to how clean you really want it, what you want to give up plus who is running it. If looking at the JD and you are Dryland, watch on which rotor is in there. If you get the small rotor with the dampened concave (instead of a shear bolt) you may run into issues. My brother runs 2 S780's for 5000 acres Dry and 1000 Irrigated and its an amazing option... if you can keep the rotor full. If not poor threshing in light crop. Also experience with green is that you won't get nearly the lifespan as you did on those R's. If it's not parts making it a bad ROI... it's nickel and dime on service packages and software. Honestly, if I were looking I would check out the new IDEAL from Agco, Elevation from NH (Though setup is a b*tch without good dealership), or your S98 Gleaner... but that low unload pipe drives me nuts aesthetically on those lol

Any modern Class 9 should do the work of 1.5 Class 7 combines as soon as you beat the learning curve.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Thanks[/QUOTE]

no would be fun trying tho I'm assuming same size fronts

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,763 Posts
The Johnny’s do a good job in the pulses but I tell you there’s quite a few seem to burn up in Chickies and Lentils in OZ, compared to the other colours. It’s obviously operator carelessness or blatant laziness to get out of the cool room and check things out. Just maybe something to keep in mind if you have hot dry conditions.
They are very heavy as well.........if that would be an issue.
Pretty sound solid machine otherwise.

You must farm abit to be running 5 R’s.

You will miss that sound on a still night when they are loaded up.......nothing else like it:13:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
My S78's auger will not go under the 16' gutters on the shed so I don't know how much higher Leth Man would like them.
Weight, fuel use and Chinese bearings would be something you'd think about with a JD. Yearly maintenance costs comparisons between the 2 and what will the JD be like in 20 years compared to your 72's?
Can you get a S98 on demo. Be good to have both machines in the same field at the same time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's not that they don't reach high, can tip near anything we use in NA, it's the pivoting point in the middle of the combine that just throws me off. Personal taste is all. Too used to the big top pipes in Southern AB. Last time I saw a center pivoting unload auger unit was a TR

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Any modern Class 9 should do the work of 1.5 Class 7 combines as soon as you beat the learning curve.
Maybe in dryland conditions. Irrigation, not so much. We found going from a class 7 to class 8 Case combine gained us almost nothing in terms of performance. In our conditions, with acceptable losses, a class 9 combine might gain 25% over a class 7. I'm skeptical of your 50% gain claim. Unless you're talking about a twin rotor (NH, or Claas). Best case scenario, there's a 10-15% gain in performance going from 7 to 8, and the same jump going to a class 9.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
It's not that they don't reach high, can tip near anything we use in NA, it's the pivoting point in the middle of the combine that just throws me off. Personal taste is all. Too used to the big top pipes in Southern AB. Last time I saw a center pivoting unload auger unit was a TR
I don't understand why the Gleaner style unloader isn't the standard.
Think of it this way, it's the only auger that can escape a grain cart in a bad situation. Don't know if it's still true but you could change the stop to set the hight so if your cutting light crops in the wind the auger doesn't need to stand ten feet above the cart. And through out history it's had the fastest unload speeds.

It's also just a lot simpler, one u-joint vs two gearboxes and since JD is apart of this conversation that has been a problem in the past few years, a lot of upset owners when Deere came up with "replace as needed" and then they run out of them three fourths of the way through harvest here. Probably could have got a u-joint from napa for a silver combine

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't understand why the Gleaner style unloader isn't the standard.
Think of it this way, it's the only auger that can escape a grain cart in a bad situation. Don't know if it's still true but you could change the stop to set the hight so if your cutting light crops in the wind the auger doesn't need to stand ten feet above the cart. And through out history it's had the fastest unload speeds.

It's also just a lot simpler, one u-joint vs two gearboxes and since JD is apart of this conversation that has been a problem in the past few years, a lot of upset owners when Deere came up with "replace as needed" and then they run out of them three fourths of the way through harvest here. Probably could have got a u-joint from napa for a silver combine
what do you mean by escape a bad situation?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Lentils and chickpeas and cutting is your limiting factor. Class 6 or 9, won’t really see any gains. I assume your durum yields wouldn’t be huge there, probably similar to us, and most years you won’t gain much there.

Really don’t think your gonna be able to run fewer machines unless you run wider heads.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
what do you mean by escape a bad situation?
This is especially for guys like me with a large corner auger cart, they are very tall and sometimes I end up in a pickle where I am unloading and combine falls in a hole or rut, drive into a drainage ditch not paying attention, or even sink in the mud and land the unloading auger between the bows, sometimes on top of them and all you can do is ride it out and hope for the best.

With a Gleaner the geometry works in such a way the unloading auger actually raises up when it's folding back, and as soon as you hit the auger fold button the auger shuts off. So no spilled grain and no broken cylinder on the auger, or even worse an elbow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Also don't have to wait for the cart to pull away before you fold it back in. I know the older CaseIH combines would hit when you folded back with the cart still there. Not sure about the flagship machines.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This is especially for guys like me with a large corner auger cart, they are very tall and sometimes I end up in a pickle where I am unloading and combine falls in a hole or rut, drive into a drainage ditch not paying attention, or even sink in the mud and land the unloading auger between the bows, sometimes on top of them and all you can do is ride it out and hope for the best.

With a Gleaner the geometry works in such a way the unloading auger actually raises up when it's folding back, and as soon as you hit the auger fold button the auger shuts off. So no spilled grain and no broken cylinder on the auger, or even worse an elbow.
ok i see what you are saying

·
Registered
12 Posts
should stick with gleaners and axial flow combines i say those are the top combines for the best the deere not so much because their crappy electronics suck ive ran a 9550 and the greenstar was crap

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!! About 1/2 the acres we cut are cereals and the other half are pulses so were on the ground A LOT!! So rock damage is a concern of mine and also just not knowing what to look for in the JD.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would love to stay Gleaner, but I'm NOT going to pay more for it.

Second question what are the reason for NOT going GREEN?

Thanks
Did a quick check on Gleaner's build and quote, a new base 2WD S98 costs much less ($546k CAD) than a base 2WD S780 ($626k CAD) on JD's build and quote. The attachments and options should be close to the same on both or probably more on the JD. I cant believe that the JD dealer is offering significantly more for your trades than a Gleaner dealer would or are they discounting the new machines bigtime to get a sale? So how exactly is the JD coming out overall cheaper?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts