The Combine Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think your big gain could be the headers if you are not running newer flex headers. A 40ft macdon will work any class 8 combine in any crop if you are willing to go the speed it lets you. But i think all the new flexes make the old ones look bad.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
X2 Even, smooth feeding is the #1 difference to thruput on any combine. I've seen the same combine go from 1.5 --> 4.5 mph, same crop, same day, same size heads....one rusty and with a rounded off cross auger, the other shiny, sharp edges on the auger, and full finger. His broke, so he borrowed mine.... Obviously drapers can be even better.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hey MTfarmer what way did the deal go. Although impracticable it would have been a good comparison to get 1 of the other for a proper evaluation.

·
Super Moderator
3,467 Posts
X2 Even, smooth feeding is the #1 difference to thruput on any combine. I've seen the same combine go from 1.5 --> 4.5 mph, same crop, same day, same size head
In the late 70’s with a NH TR70 in swathed barley you could achieve that simply (sorta) by turning the feeder chain around, it was close to the difference between running and not running it was so ******* frustrating!:52:
In typical big Corp fashion it took New Holland until 1990 to install the feeder chain properly.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hard to beat a Massey rock trap system I think. The beater takes the hit, not the rotor and is easily dumped. I hated that stone trap on the Gleaner. It works good it was just PITA to climb up on our R62 with 2 wrenchs and dump. 2 feeder chains hitting the rocks wasn't always great either.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts