The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the rotor out to find the tin at the back of the rotor is rotting out. Has anyone ever replaced this????

thanks for the help

·
Registered
594 Posts
Had mine replaced on my 1660 this winter. Hope it keeps the engine compartment a lot cleaner. I assume you are talking about the cover that goes around the rotor input shaft

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thats exactly what I am talking about. Priced it out at the dealer for $400 big ones. Figured for that much I can cut out the beat up section and bend a piece of steel to match. I dont think that it will help keep the engine compartment to much cleaner though. There is still a hole for it to get thru, and you know how that goes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would replace it. I had a 1480 that started having straw in the engine compartment all of the time. Came in to dump the combine and could smell something burning. Straw from the wheat blown through the hole was landing on the manifold and burning. How we kept from burning the combine up was beyond me.

When we got to looking I discovered a hole in the tin. There was straw going everywhere. If you cut any wheat I think you would have a great chance for a fire with all of the straw blowing around up there. $400 is a lot cheaper than another combine or a lot of down time due to a fire

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up cutting out the area that was rotting out and welded in a piece to match fits and looks good. Painted it with rustoleum's bed linner for pickup's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts