The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got new tires on my 3/4 ton pickup. They are 10 ply load range E tires rated at 80psi max pressure. The tire shop had them all inflated to 45psi. What do you all recommend for pressure for longest life best ride etc. I was thinking higher than 45psi.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice smooth ride 45-60 psi. Long life 90 psi so less surface area is on the road at any given time. Traction in the mud 40 psi. Traction on ice a size or two smaller tire(narrow). Usually I try to keep mine at least at 60 psi. That way have a not bad ride but still have the pressure if I haul something heavy.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
My truck tag says 70, the TPMS isn't working anyway so I dropped the pressures to 45 front and 40 rear. I've hauled over a ton in that truck and I bet the tires haven't squatted a half inch and don't warm up so I think I'll just leave them there. The truck only weighs less than a thousand pounds more then a half ton, I don't know why they want to double the tire pressure.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The problem is they list the tire pressures recommended at maximum GVW and also GAWR front and rear but that is when packing the maximum allowed on a truck and the pressures are listed accordingly. If one drives around with very little in the truck and put 80 psi in, that would be way over inflated and ride like a stone boat or at least some trucks would and the contact patch of the tire isn't really what it should be then ether. So often trucks like that get driven nearly empty and why the tire shop put them to 45 in this case because the truck was probably empty when you went in. I don't know if there is such a thing as a tire size/pressure chart according to weight per axle as that would be quite helpful.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
One thing I noticed with this truck is the stone damage to the tires, I never had that with the old truck. These tires are Hankook ATMs I think, similar tread pattern to the Geolanders or All Terrains I like so much, they always wore smooth with very little gravel chipping, these are chipping like crazy, I had the truck for five thousand km and they went from smooth to chipped tread, the only reason I can come up with is higher inflation makes the footprint smaller and less flexible thus more prone to chipping.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I have noticed that when my tires were inflated up to 70-75 psi they wore more in the center. Now I run them at 45 and had the TPM changed lower (Ford 1 ton). If I am hauling something really heavy for major miles I put the rears higher but otherwise they seem fine at 45.:)

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
That reminds me of a tire Costco used to have which they would guarantee to get X amount of km out of them but soon changed their tune when they saw tires chewed to bits in these rural areas with all the gravel. It seems some tire tread designs and rubber compound do far better then others for gravel. Those that don't do worth crap, its like they are melting off and I expect power, speed, weight of truck, tire pressure, tire size all make a difference to how the very same brand and tread last on gravel.

About tire inflation, and this goes for large trucks as well as its claimed over inflation can cause more potential to bruise a tire or another words start breaking up cords under the rubbers surface. Too much or not enough air is not good ... not enough is the worst though as offroadNT made the comment about checking for tires running warm ... heat a tire up and it will self destruct.

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
I just got new tires on my 3/4 ton pickup. They are 10 ply load range E tires rated at 80psi max pressure. The tire shop had them all inflated to 45psi.
Just changed tires on an F-150...for the second time in eight weeks!
Somehow, no one noticed when they installed 275/65R 20 load range E,
should have been 275/55R 20, passenger car tire so no load range.
Same tread and other than the bigger tires rubbing mud flaps on turns, ride, track and steer all like ****, and throw the speedometer out by 6%, they were perfect.;)
This 95+% of the time is just a glorfied car, I run 35 F 30 R, just above Ford's garbage TPMS threshold.:(

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I have noticed that when my tires were inflated up to 70-75 psi they wore more in the center. Now I run them at 45 and had the TPM changed lower (Ford 1 ton). If I am hauling something really heavy for major miles I put the rears higher but otherwise they seem fine at 45.:)
How did the dealer change it? Here they claim they can't go below 70, I saw it on their laptop, it showed no options below 70. Not that they are the brightest dealership in Canada though... My sensors won't communicate with the smart box and the dealer wants nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Just changed tires on an F-150...for the second time in eight weeks!
Somehow, no one noticed when they installed 275/65R 20 load range E,
should have been 275/55R 20, passenger car tire so no load range.
Same tread and other than the bigger tires rubbing mud flaps on turns, ride, track and steer all like ****, and throw the speedometer out by 6%, they were perfect.;)
This 95+% of the time is just a glorfied car, I run 35 F 30 R, just above Ford's garbage TPMS threshold.:(
Back in the eighties it seemed we could get away with P rated tires. Been experimenting with them the last few years, won't work for us, they just fly to peices. Old man can wreck a P rated tire in less then ten thousand km. our trucks are not just coffee haulers though.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
How did the dealer change it? Here they claim they can't go below 70, I saw it on their laptop, it showed no options below 70. Not that they are the brightest dealership in Canada though... My sensors won't communicate with the smart box and the dealer wants nothing to do with it.
I had a 2008 F350 and complained about the TPM on it and nothing could be done apparently. Then I got a 2011 F350 and same thing, it would alarm below 65? on the rear axle (I believe front was maybe lower). I always just drove around with the light on which totally defeats the purpose of it! Then about 2 years ago if I remember correctly I asked again and they said they could change it! I believe they are now set for 40.

I'm kind of fuzzy on the timeline here but that is the approximate details. Your dealer should be able to adjust that thing.;)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
On my dodge diesel trucks I run 50-60 on the fronts and set the rear pressure to match the load I'm carrying. Going unloaded to loaded and not adjusting pressure I tend to wear the Center more. Toyo M-55 seem to be the best tire for gravel for me.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I found some weight/inflation pressure charts from Bridgestone and as an example on page 99 it shows the popular or at least used to be LT 235/85R16 and starting down at 35 psi and going all the way up to 80 with weight able to be carried at each inflation pressure. All one would need then is to do an axle weight at a scale and go from there depending on if it was empty or loaded with a typical type load.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/load/load_pdf/loadtables.pdf

·
Registered
412 Posts
I found some weight/inflation pressure charts from Bridgestone and as an example on page 99 it shows the popular or at least used to be LT 235/85R16 and starting down at 35 psi and going all the way up to 80 with weight able to be carried at each inflation pressure. All one would need then is to do an axle weight at a scale and go from there depending on if it was empty or loaded with a typical type load.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/load/load_pdf/loadtables.pdf
Some owners manuals used to have the split weights in the books unloaded and loaded.

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
Welllllll you did say it was a glorified car didn't you :rolleyes:

Half ton trucks today are built way tougher then the eighties, they are nicer but most don't ride as good but they have allot higher load ratings and last better.
You take me back to my light green and dark green 1978 454 1/2 ton GMC trailering special pickup!:)
You are right about ride, mind you that was obviously a 2 WD (GM never put a 454 in a 4 WD) and 4WD's at the time were a bone crunching ride at best.:(
I ordered that truck in, 7800$. Power windows and door locks and...intermittent wipers!:eek:
A similar ride today would be 50,000+.

Wonder what % of new pickups sold in central AB are 2 WD now?
1%?
Maybe.:confused:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.