The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad was swathing wheat... I was combining another field... He said it started on the distributor side.... Three fire extinguishers, and a couple pails of water didn't put it out, so out came the fire dept.

F

·
0 Posts
Sorry about your luck. Hope the rest of harvest goes off with out any more issues

·
Premium Member
4,793 Posts
You mean there are still guys using a 400?
You almost seem to say that like its a bad thing or something to be ashamed of:eek: Obviously a late one by the decals, lots and lots of those swathers still going, a good late one still brings upto $5000, was only a few years ago I was even still using my #10 18ft pull type:p

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You almost seem to say that like its a bad thing or something to be ashamed of:eek: Obviously a late one by the decals, lots and lots of those swathers still going, a good late one still brings upto $5000, was only a few years ago I was even still using my #10 18ft pull type:p
Heck at least that swather has a steering wheel. :p I have an old coop I use to cut hay with, works great. We all don't follow the leader and buy the latest and greatest that a with a single payment on, we could buy several of the old girls. :rolleyes:

Chris, I swear I saw you in Humboldt in July at the coop gas bar, but I was in a hurry, you seemed in a hurry and I kept doing a double take when I shoulda shouted at you. ARE YOU CHRIS H!!!!????? :eek:

I hope you have a backup??? How is harvest coming along?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Slant 6 in there I'm assuming? like just about every swather of that vintage? Saw a swather once with a straight 6 chrysler, fitting because the machine was as old as the engine (ironically).

Has your dad asked for one with a cab or canopy in light of this?

Bruce

·
Super Moderator
2,575 Posts
The main thing to remember about the Versatile 400 swather was how much better it was than the Versatile 4400 that followed.:(
I don't think 1 person who ran both thought any different.;)

·
Premium Member
4,793 Posts
Slant 6 in there I'm assuming? like just about every swather of that vintage?
Nope not in those, right from the beginning of the 400 thru the gas versions of the 4400 all were powered by a 200 Ford inline 6 industrial;)

Some that had the Chrysler slant 6 were the ones built by Renn which were also sold under the Massey and New Holland names and the 800 and 830 Deere used those engines as well. Cornbinder used their own inline 4 and 6 cylinders. Owatonna and CCIL also used Ford inline 4 and 6 engines, of course these all post date the days of when those V4 air cooled Wisconsins ruled the roost.

As for Hesston, I cant seem to remember what they run for engines, never really had much to do with one. I believe one of the last to offer the Chrysler slant 6 was MacDon in the 7000 series, again which was sold under other names as well. Today I don't even think a gas engine is an option anymore:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,793 Posts
The main thing to remember about the Versatile 400 swather was how much better it was than the Versatile 4400 that followed.:(
I don't think 1 person who ran both thought any different.;)
Actually Don I have run both as well and more from a "comfort position" I always preferred the 44. had a nice snug little cab and the controls were a lot more comfortably placed. That flat steering wheel on the 400 never agreed with my body:eek: and oh how those cabs on the 400 vibrated, funny they never put the 4400 cab on the 400 at the end, but then other than an extra tailwheel and few more pounds wouldn't have been much difference between them anymore:D The 4400 also had a much better hay conditioner;)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Nope not in those, right from the beginning of the 400 thru the gas versions of the 4400 all were powered by a 200 Ford inline 6 industrial;)

Some that had the Chrysler slant 6 were the ones built by Renn which were also sold under the Massey and New Holland names and the 800 and 830 Deere used those engines as well. Cornbinder used their own inline 4 and 6 cylinders. Owatonna and CCIL also used Ford inline 4 and 6 engines, of course these all post date the days of when those V4 air cooled Wisconsins ruled the roost.

As for Hesston, I cant seem to remember what they run for engines, never really had much to do with one. I believe one of the last to offer the Chrysler slant 6 was MacDon in the 7000 series, again which was sold under other names as well. Today I don't even think a gas engine is an option anymore:confused:
Excellent, I was beginning to wonder who made the Massey swathers of that vintage, saw a Coop/CCIL? swather that was identical but green and a NH that was same but red/yellow. 655/775 were a nice machine to run.

On a side note, did NH make haybines for MacDon? Saw a center-pivot hydraulic unit that was identical to the NH/CIH units.

Bruce

·
Registered
559 Posts
You only had one Chris? Most guys that run them have like 3 or 4 of them. Neighbour is one of those types, one for hay, one for general cutting. Calls everyone else's swathers "expensive air conditioning".

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have ran both the 400 and 4400 and as far as running them I don't think they were much different except we eventually put on a cab and had ac in the 4400. There were lots of improvements on the 4400 but what they both really needed was to be built heavier in the weak areas and they were so underpowered, especially the 4400.
The gas Hestons I've seen have the Chrysler slant 6.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That 400 was the first swather I bought.... We used it and the MF 35 pull type for 5 years now... worked well for what we needed it to do.

We upgraded a little bit.... CCIL 722 /w a Schumacher knife drive, 30' and pickup reels. :D

I was sad to see it go... but insurance was fair and it's nice having an A/C and radio.... and most importantly, a windshield.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just upgraded my 400 Vers this year. I bought it cause it had a brand new UII pickup reel that would fit my 9020 header and ended up swathing over 300 acres with it each year. My wife and Dad sit in the nice comfy 850's picking out the canola piles the swather operator made and wondering why the truck can't keep up so last year I got a swing auger and this year a swather. They are running out of things to complain about this year. Now if we could only control the wind!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Now if I could only get MY wife to drive a combine...hmmm....oh just wait she's too busy with the little ones....maybe in 10 years or so..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts