The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been trying to decide if i'd rather we buy or rent a bagger or keep dumping on the ground, right now ground is better but I think in two months I'll be changing my tune ;)

How do oats do in a pile?

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
#1 still. No downgrading, no spoilage so far. All that is wasted is about 2" wide 1" deep around the edge where it sprouted...

Guys at Viterra pull the straw out, at the grates, don't really mind it... it seams.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've been trying to decide if i'd rather we buy or rent a bagger or keep dumping on the ground, right now ground is better but I think in two months I'll be changing my tune ;)

How do oats do in a pile?
We've had piles of durum in the past. Bought a bagger last year. Bags are 100x better than a pile anytime in my mind.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If I have to make a pile, I do it on mowed grass in the yard rather than in the field... too many small stones. At the point now where we've got enough spare bins that I rarely have to since we got rid of the pigs. Made a plastic tarp once to go over a pile. It worked good to keep a big rain off, but had to be removed right away after the rain or the condensation under the plastic was a big problem.

·
Registered
517 Posts
We put those gatco air tubes in seem to work very well we jsut started picking one of two piles of ground and started drying as we are moving a small barley contract. The barley is 18-20 moisture and no spoiling as of yet and been on ground a couple weeks. We had two in some wheat piles (50ft rings) a couple years ago and wheat sat for two years before we hauled it in and only place we had a alittle spoilage (the two piles maybe 50 bushels) was were the tarp leaked alittle. We even have some 15% canola piled on ground with a tube screwed in cause we got no were to dry to yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
We've had piles of durum in the past. Bought a bagger last year. Bags are 100x better than a pile anytime in my mind.
Yep baggers are way nicer defiently but when you only have 30-40 bushels on ground on some years cant really justify spending 60-100k for loader/unloader. We are just slowly building or fleet of bins buying 5400 hoppers a couple a year to get rid of all flat bottom bins is the plan. We tired of sweeping/shoveling and vaccing lol

·
Registered
517 Posts
Christian also we just took a sucker rod and made brackets that bolt onto bucket so it sits in front of cutting edge on bucket. Works good doesnt scoop dirty helps slide on top of ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts