The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am working on my9750 sts and find the top feeder house shaft is pounded out by the keyway and a chip if steel is broken off result is that the slipclutch is a little loose, does anyone know is the 9760 has a better or thicker shaft? I don't like to put it back in the way it is, too much work to repair it during harvest if it were to break, anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Hope this helps you.

The feeder house top shaft is cracked in the keyway. The crack/s can be seen at either end of the keyway for the slip clutch.

Order and install the following service parts to replace the keyed shaft with a splined shaft. .

9880STS export combines ( 695801 - ) and 60 Series STS combines will have these parts.

Parts:

H203850 Splined Shaft

AH203190 Splined Slip Clutch

14M7189 M24 Slotted Nut

11M7032 M5 x 50 Cotter Pin

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've been wanting to bring this issue up for awhile. That stupid small keyway was one of the worst designs Deere ever had. It dates back to 1991 9600s. I've replaced more shafts than I can count. Now the price of the Deere shafts is getting rediculous and the new shafts are no stronger than the originals. Plus the keyway area is heat treated so it's not cost-effective to get it fixed at a machine shop. At least the 60 series-and-up STS splined shafts fit into 50 series STS and narrow body combines. A&I also makes a shaft that is roughly half the $ of a Deere.

http://www.worthingtonagparts.com/Low/ca....l=9760&KeyWord=

The problem is that there is still no decent upgrade for wide body walker machines because there is no application that uses a splined shaft for a wide body. I worked on a 9610 last month that had a cracked keyway and the price on the shaft thru Deere was almost $1500 CDN plus $200 for a new slip clutch hub! For that much money I figured I can find a decent alternative. A&I does have a new shaft for around $500 bucks but I wanted a splined setup. The splined shaft and the keyed shaft are dimensionally the same up to the second sprocket keyway. So I bought an STS shaft and had a machine shop fuse it with the existing 9610 shaft for a cost of $300 and ta-da, a splined wide body shaft for $800. Then you have to buy the radial pin slip clutch for another $500 but the grand total is still less than just a replacement shaft though Deere.

There is one other 96xx walker alternative. The 9660 WTS and T670 use a slightly larger key with a radial pin clutch than 9600/10. But the shaft is very pricey and the key is only marginally bigger so I'm not sure if I trust it. I'm going to monitor some WTS's and T's to see if it stands the test of time. Sorry for kinda pirating your thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts