The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Parksy's post on another thread made me think about this. I started a whole other thread so the first one [about the paint] could stay on-topic.

I toured both the Deere and International Harvester plants back in 1983. Yes, it was still just plain old IH back then. I was given an individual tour, since no one else was there at the time. He took his time, answered lots of questions and let me look around anywhere, for as long, provided I stayed out of restricted areas. Sadly, the only thing I was NOT allowed to do, was shoot pics, even just if they were not of the combines or machine tools.

The walls were beautifully and elaborately decorated with huge murals of various harvest and farming scenes depicting their Axial-Flow combines. Some of them were even life-size! THIS is what I wanted to capture on film even more than the building of the combines. Even the fabrication machines were painted in corporate colors and festooned with the decals of the various combines made in the plant. That alone, sent a loud/clear message of high morale, satisfaction and pride in workmanship. I found it so interesting that here, the workers really loved their combines and personified some of their artwork.

Contrast all of that to the green ones made a block away, on the opposite side of the tracks. I toured that plant, too. It was a canned tour, only lasting maybe 1-1/2 hours compared to the 3 I spent at IHC. The tour guide was retired from something other than the Harvester Works, and really could not answer any serious technical questions about their combines, nor did he even want to take the time. The workers were not as well-dressed and nowhere near as friendly. Talking to any of them was forbidden. I got to talk to two of the guys putting augers and sieves into the Axial-Flows, but I was likewise, courteous and brief.

Almost 2 years later, I toured the Gleaner plant in Independence, MO. I got much the same respect and enjoyed t almost as much as I did the IHC tour. Too bad, I did not get to see the conventional Gleaners made, but they were scheduled for a future run.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got back from a taking a group of producers through the Grand Island plant, and I must say it was impressive. Excellent plant, very knowlegeble tour guides and friendly workers made for an enjoyable event.

We spent nearly 3 hours in the plant, and were encouraged to talk to the workers, which we did. Got lots of great pictures to go with the great memories.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can a person take a IH rotor to the moline plant and get it rebalanced like they used too ? I understand that caseIH is still using the facility.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rotors are now balanced in Grand Island. To set up an appointment call 308-389-5758. More details can be found in service bulletin NHE SB 002 05 that your dealer will have on file.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i toured the IH plant in east moline, in 93-94 i think thats the year, they let me take all the pictures i wanted, i even stepped into the paint booth while they were painting primer.
A friend of mine,toured the grand island plant this summer, and they werent aloud to take any pictures, and they made them put special clothes on.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Magnum, by the time you toured the plant, they had been CASE-IH for quite a while. Whole new set of rules. In fact, not only was I NOT allowed to shoot any pics, but my tour guide actually held onto my SLR throughout the tour. I guess he just knew I'd shoot something when he was not watching me closely. LOL!
By the way, when you were there, were the murals still all over their walls, or had they been painted over?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm going to try posting a few pics taken in the G.I. Plant in early Dec. 05. Excellent tour!

The First Cuts for an 8010

The Lower Frame Takes Shape

The 8010 Upper Frame

An 8010 Rotor and Cage Assembly bound for Europe

8010 Engine, Gearcase and CVT drive nearly ready for installation

2388 in Dyno Room

Final Trim Line... Note the mixed production... That day 9-2388's 3-8010's and 3 yellows

I have lots more pics of the 2388 assembly if anyone would be interested

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't know if there is a central phone number to set up a tour at all the plants, but you can set up a tour at the Grand Island plant by calling Charlene Goeden at 308-389-5758.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A local CIH dealer took a group of us on a tour of the Racine tractor plant and the East Moline combine plant in November 1998. While I am more partial to tractors, the combine plant was more interesting, it was like a very large and clean machine shop. The tour guides were retired from IH-CIH, and were extremely friendly. After the tour we were fed a nice lunch and were even able to talk to an engineer who was working on a prototype I believe that would have been the next generation after the 2300 series. He wouldn't divulge much about it other than it was awesome, he said that the 2388 hadn't even come close to reaching the capacity of the rotor. Of course this was all before the merger of CIH and NH, I don't think the 8010 is what CIH had in mind at that time. I don't remember seeing the murals that were talked about earlier, but I could have just missed them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Combiness, I know that it was CaseIH at the time I toured the plant, but I still don't like calling it CaseIH. I know I have to get used to it, but that plant was all IH as far as I'm concerned.
As for the murals, I'm pretty sure they were still there, but I can't remember.

Mod Edit: Shift key please

1 - 19 of 19 Posts