The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am towing an implement with my semi truck, in Alberta, am I required to pull into the open inspection stations? And if so do I drive over the scale (doubtful) or just pull in and do the slow drive by in front of the windows? Scale in question will be Whitecourt.

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
Whitecourt lol, one of the most famous in Alberta lol. Yes you have a commercial plated vehicle and are over 4500KGS gross, you will need to do a drive by just beside the scale and watch the lights for instructions.
Have fun. I'd drive a hundred miles out of my way to avoid that **** hole.

·
Registered
652 Posts
White court is fine with farm plates just make sure you have paperwork done. ie Pretrip and fitness certificate. Actually prefer whitecourt over the others.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm with AB on by-passing Whitecourt if at all possible. Alot do the 100 km or so loop through Swan Hills just to bypass. As for farm plates, I had my truck hauled home from there last fall when the eager beavers worked me over. Wasn't really much wrong with the truck either. If your brave enough to attempt it be sure everything, absolutely everything is in order.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok thank you. Yes was taken ‘out of service’ approx 6 years ago there because my log book did not officially account for off duty days. Learned that lesson immediately and record the gaps now, an education rather than punishment would have been sufficient.
Trip will be long enough at 50km/hr, best to stick to the main twinned road I think.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We went through there bringing a 60' johndeere air seeder with cart a few years ago.... we were a bit nervous.... but when we got there it was closed...??
We pulled in the lot, wasnt much activity, forget what day and time it was...checked things over, tightened the straps and chains and left. Nobody chased us down 🤷‍♂️
We pulled it with a farm plated tandem grain truck.
Are they open 24-7?
Just go through when closed...??

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Do truckers have any sort of app to share what scales are open, and the location of random roadside inspections?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do truckers have any sort of app to share what scales are open, and the location of random roadside inspections?
yes, Trucker Path is commonly used. Shows truck stops, fuel, scale open/closed and parking lots available too.

·
Super Moderator
3,180 Posts
In a sort of related item,
the county just gravelled the N/S road by me.
The usual new gravel spread, dusty as hell.
Called the county and was told dust control free due to the high traffic load on this stretch of road for three reasons, two I knew and the third made me laugh.
1. Three Hills Seed Cleaning Plant on same road, highest volume seed plant in Alberta
2. Cargill terminal route, and...
3. Trucks avoiding scale at the intersection of 21 and 27W highways

Last one stuck me as funny coming from county personal.

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
3. Trucks avoiding scale at the intersection of 21 and 27W highways

Last one stuck me as funny coming from county personal.
Often you will see the DOT hiding out on those side roads regularly used to avoid the local scale, as with many, once you turn on, your are committed and there is no way out lol, thats why you use some ingenuity when you plot your course lol

For me it goes back to oil field days, and as a lease operator hauling rigs and heavy equipment, any tickets were on me, for the hyway maggots its no big deal, but when every load is pushing the limits in so many different ways, best to avoid them and the hassle. Over the years I have driven hundreds of miles to simply do so and many times ended up on location ahead of the guys who run over the scale and got nailed for everything down to dirty fingernails.
Was a reason a local water hauler was hired by anonymous parties to flood Whitecourt many years ago Christmas eve, froze the works into a block of solid ice, shut that SOB down until spring lol. Same with how the government cut down the trees along the gravel road west of 43 where the old scale was, couldn't say how many times I smoked down that trail myself with the old KW dark save for a set of aux driving lights lol. Mullen knew we were doing it too, hell half the time their own company trucks did it too.
In later years, Slave Lake had a horrendous rep as well. That new one at Lac La Biche is getting a bad name really fast. Lucky for me, the one at Radway is being shut down, so that makes my life easier when I head south down 63, won't have to detour thru Thorhild anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts