The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at controled traffic farming.
Useing GPS to always run wheels in same tracks.

Was thinking of matching tractor and combine wheelbases but then thought could the combine tow the drill.

We are running a 20 foot head at present so would 2388 pull a 20ft drill with say seed hawk coulters and a couple tines running deeper behind the wheels?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I don't think the 2388 drive train was designed to do much more than move itself. Getting that hydrostat to pull something like a drill might be more than it is capable of. I'm pretty sure you'd have to run in 1st gear to make it move. With a full hopper, they can struggle just to climb a hill.

The hitch would likely disturb the spreader pattern, but that might not be a big issue. You would also need a set of hydraulics off the combine to raise/lower the implement. Tapping in to a hydraulic line and adding a valve would be relatively easy. I'd recommend an electrohydraulic valve because it is going to be easier to put a switch in the cab than to route hydraulic lines and a lever valve up there.

-Lance

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think that you would have to have a pretty long tong on the drill th keep the chaff from gathering on top of it and making piles!

I don't know if the hydro-stats would handle it either because the hydros seem like the weakest part on our 2366 but then again people pull their heads behind them!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Seeding would be after cutting, harvest August seed late September/October so no header on combine ,no grain in tank, could even remove rotor and grates to reduce weight. GPS plus autosteer to ensure same wheelings are used.

Would need to travel 5/6mph I think. Hydo was my worry as telehandler soon overheats if we tow a trailer.

Was hoping someone out there had already tried it, cost saving would be fantastic though!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes we would be useing the combine instead of a tractor and not harvesting and drilling at the sme time.

The idea of this controlled traffic idea is that the wheel marks and the compaction they cause are always in the same place. 66/75%of land should never have a tire over it again ever.

Most people that are doing it now are running tractors in between the combine wheels ie one tractor wheel in the combine wheel up the field the other in the combine wheel down the field.
THis gives a max width of about 18ft 11ft combine wheelbase +7ft tractor.

This does allow combine to empty grain on the move and straw can be baled if raked across to tractor track.

I just fancy having one machine one auto-trac system and more cash!!!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
i don't know if i would want to put that many hours on my combine, plus many have mentioned final drives and hydro. I do know that our 2188 tows its 30' 1010 header easier then it carries it.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Would you install a camera on the back of the combine so the driver can monitor the drill? I agree with the other posters, this seems perhaps like trying to get too much out of the equipment, as well as the machine not being designed to pull drills. Would you have to transport the drill on any roads?

Just my opinion, but I wonder if a small tractor wouldn't work best for this. I know the tires won't match exactly with the combine, but when penciling out cost of machinery, hours on the combine, yield dimishment due to compaction, upkeep on machinery, wear on the combine, and other factors; if just getting a tractor to handle the drilling wouldn't be most feasable.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I fear for the 4 wheel drive units if used. Those 4 wheel drive motors are not designed to be used HARD all of the time. In wet corn fields they are just assisting but if you are pulling all that extra weight then they are working. I think you would over heat your hydraulic oil. Just using the 4x4 all the time.
If you are planning on pulling an air seeder I don't think that the combine would have enough hydraulics to keep up with the fan, shank down pressure, wing down pressure, etc.. A secondary hydraulic pump may work though. When you put a Hillco leveler on a combine a new hydraulic pump, reservoir and cooler are part of the deal. So this should not be to hard to overcome.
Still fear for the hydro stat though!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here is alink to CTF www.controlledtrafficfarming.com

I am just trying to think a little futher and see if the combine could be utilized better.
Somewhere it states a160hp tractor could easily pull a 8m/26ft drill.

Therefore 6m/20ft would be about 120hp.

Does this help with hydo/ finals capasity?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts