The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3rd season on my new to me New Holland TR-89. I currently am using a 16 foot bean head off my TR-85 to do my beans. Its time to upgrade. My dealer says a 30 footer might be to much head. He says it will lift it but not sure about too much material. Everything I have read says the biggest difference between a 89 and a 99 is H.P. Beans in my area typically run between 50 and 70 bushel per Acre. Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My ground is Kitchen table flat to slightly rolling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a TR 99 for the last three years and I have an eight row corn head and a 25 foot flex head for soybeans. It would be better if I had a 30 foot head and could drive slower. But I would have to remove the 30 foot head for road travel and I have been getting down the road with the 25 foot head attached. I believe your TR 89 will handle a 25 foot flex head just fine and would also handle a 30 foot head but at a little slower pace. Your 16 foot head is just too small.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I dont know if a 30 would be smart. We had a 30 on our tr98 and we took it off so that we could handle the material in really good wheat. We now run a 25 foot flex and we love it. I was going 4.5 - 6 in 75 bushel wheat. I would suggest a 20 to a 25 foot head.

Matt

·
Registered
68 Posts
To my understanding the TR89 is really a TR98,TR97, TR96. May be a small difference in horse between the models but not too much. The TR89 should handle a 30' head with relative ease if it is in fact the same as a TR97... our TR97 sure loves a 30' swath of beans. The 20' off my TR86 is just too small! I beleive all the rotors are the same size in all the TR's from the 6 series up. Just a difference in horse and seive width. That is what would get you is the seives but like I said... supposedly the same as the previous 90's so all should be good.

·
Registered
561 Posts
anyone who says 30' is too much for TR89 is crazy they have the same capacity/hp as a TR96. We had a 25, on our TR96 and it was too small sometimes we would combine as fast as we could cut. I understatnd the trans port issue but reall how hard is it to use a trailer or aheader with self contained transport? The only diff between a 89 and 99 is hp and hopper extensions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with steigerman,

A neighbour had a 25 ft with AWS reel on his 89 and no problem with power in wet beans. I personally would go to 30 ft if money is no object. Less hours on the machine, a few more acres cut in daylight, better job of cutting by driving a little slower, etc. I never minded taking off the header and trailering it up the road. Just my 02 cents.

shane.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts