The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble setting up a TR 98. Was straight cutting 30 bu winter wheat with 36ft head and everything was fine, couldn't have asked for a better sample and throwing over was very minimal. Know swithed to pickup header picking up double 20 ft swaths of spring wheat. The spring wheat is running decent 35-45 but there is a lot of straw with it, was getting a lot of unthreased heads until cranking the rotor speeds up , that problem is solved now but it still seems to be throwning over a lot. Was trying to keep the straw to bale but know it is almost powder with the rotor speed so high, and in that 5 ft swath of straw/chaff that comes out the back has a lot of kernels under it. Tryed opening bottom sieve until sample got dirty, still seems to be throwing over plenty. Also when i do a kill stall machine seems to be pulling more product through the right side rotor. Has anyone saw this before,(lots of threshed wheat under right rotor, minimal under left with a lot of chaff?) Just wondering if anyone has any answers, combine has all new internals this year (everything) Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Probably you will have to reset the diverter plates under the threshing/exasperating area to try to get more of the material to the other side. Its just adjusted with the pins and rods that stick through the side of the machine. You'll have to do a couple more kill stalls to get it right.

Try opening up the top sieve more -opening the bottom sieve will only let what already fell through the top sieve in -not anything more. And it won't help with reducing losses because material that goes off the bottom sieve just goes to the return.

Do you have cover plates (awning plates) installed in the front part of the concave? They make a world of difference.

And finally, if you want to bale behind your combine, either trade your TR or buy a New Holland round baler.

·
Registered
664 Posts
sounds to me like you might not returning enough as krsch suggested. i never open the bottom sieve unless its awefull clean.

you might want to close your concaves and slow your rotors down. also, as suggested, those diverter plates are a PITA to set. these tr's like to run heavy on one rotor.

after doing this, make sure it isnt overloading the clean grain. I would suggest a kill stall to check where your problem is. open doors, check the grain chains. check grain flow under the concaves and on the rotors...... if you are carrying grain on the chaff on the rotors, you need to fix things

Matt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have one set of auning plates installed and brackets for a second set. Seems to have gotten a little bit better opening the top sieve. Have messed with the distibution plates several times. It just seems to be bringing in a threshing a lot more material on the right side no matter what. Checked front drum and rock drum and both are set level so the feeding should be fine. Returns looks good a few heads and a few white caps but nothing unormal. Think i will continue to run rotor speed fairly high because thats where i get rid of the heads the best and can have the concave opened the most for capacity. I wonder if i am pushing too much mog through the machine and walking all that grain out on the sieve still. Thought i read somewhere once about someone else that had an aggressive right rotor but not sure. Everything is new and rotors are timed properly. Any other help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
They like to bias one side or the other in threshing. Not sure why. TRs like rotor speed to do the work, so just keep cranking it up until you run out of RPMs or start cracking.

Also, if you are getting a lot of grain on one side try to adjust where your returns dump in. Theres that bar right under where the upper return cross auger is. I forget which direction goes which way but that might be where some of the overload is coming from.

·
Registered
664 Posts
i seem to disagree, you can get good threshing without cranking them up. I also tend to want to keep the straw in tact. We usually handle this by adjusting concaves and pulling wires

Matt

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Kirschenman, if that is ever a problem, it needs to be addressed immediately. Those rotors should never favor one or the other, to result in uneven threshing! That can be as much of a feeder chain issue, as with the rotor impellers and of course, the timing of the rotors. Also, just the simple balance of each rotor is crucial.

·
Registered
664 Posts
than you have never ran a tr combiness....... Every tr we have ever had, has had this condition sometime or another. Its usually at a certain crop condition.

our 70 was really bad, the 86 was ok and the 98 is ok. We can usually correct it

also, its the same difference to the combine as taking half a header of wheat, it gets fed to one rotor mainly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems to be a little better today. Got done picking up and now straight cutting spring wheat again. todally forgot about that d**n returns door adjuster on the auger, i bet it is wide open and maybe i should have closed it just a little to get more on the left. or maybe it needs to be open all the way. either way today when i was putting the spreaders back on i messed with the sieves a little more and am pleased with how little i am losing now. right to left issue wasn't as bad either. but still boggles my mind how that would work like that even when i was running the windrow in the left side as much as i could and it still looked like the right was taking it.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Ok, here's a picture I took of a think it is a tr97 at a tr part out yard.

And here's a picture of a cr9070 I took at a dealer where my friend was having it tuned for seed.

Notice the divider between the rotors and how far back or receded it is on the tr? The rotor flights move outward at the bottom, or clockwise on left and counterclockwise on right. Notice the center crop divider on the cr. It is very far forward and crowds the flights. This is how to help reduce the favoring a rotor. I cant find the picture of a scab welding job I have of one machine in that part out yard, but the previous owner welded in some plates to create his own extended divider. It was said by the yard owner whom knew the machine and had ran it some, that the mod worked very well.

Just an idea fwiw.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
What do you do when you tune for seed?

Don

It came from ND and had done corn which it was setup for. The full details are foriegn to me yet as I dont follow the new equipment much. But he had the adjustable transport vane kit installed and trailing rasp bars. He also had some work done to the rethreshers to make them more small seed friendly. He traded a 970 in on this 9070 and the 970 had some of his own "magic" installed. They wanted to duplicate some of those small seed improvements on the 9070. Also some sort of optional seal kit or something for the self levelling cleaner was needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.