The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run axial flows for about 18 years, I need to buy a newer combine and have been noticing New Holland TR machines seem to be cheap compared to their red and green counterparts. Is there a reason for this? I am going to look at a couple of TR 98s, what are the weak points to look for on a 98 or any other twin rotor? I am sure I could do with a TR 88 but they don't seem to be as plentiful. Any ideas how many hours you can put on a TR 98 before they become more trouble than they are worth? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
They are good machines, and high capacity. They wear faster per hour than others, but they seem to be able to cram more bushels per hour through as well. The Genesis engines is very good on fuel.

Bubble up auger gearbox was an issue, and they wear the rotor covers as well as the feedhouse floor. Normal wear occurs all places where it happens in all rotaries.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Great machines IMO...we have run them since they first came out...from an 85, to a 96 and a 99.

If the machine was just a small grains combine, it should be fine...depending on the hours of course...if it was a corn combine, it will probably be worn out alot faster...Our 96 has around 2100 sep/hrs and it is in great shape....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have owned a TR combine since I started farming. The first was a TR 70, the second was a TR 86, and now a TR 99. A lot of nice improvements have been made over the years. They are less popular in this area too. For the second owner, this gives you a break in price.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I know nothing about the TR 70'. I have a very small one man wheat farm. My 7700 is getting tired and i'm looking for a low $ replacement. Ad in the local farm paper for TR 70 with bad engine.? Supposedly it's in great shape except for the engine. Comes with good wheat header. What is the bin size? extra problems with that model? Do they compare with what in the JD line? What type engine and are replacement engines readily available or costs to o'haul?
Farming hasn't been good here in this area for the last 4 years and $ are the big consideration.
I have a 580K backhoe to pull R&R the engine, does that seem reasonable? I've R&R engines on other rigs with the 580K.
NH is not very comon around here but there is a dealer 20 miles away.
Any suggestions for a NH model in the small farm low dollar range. Needs to perform better than my current 1979 JD 7700 and hopefully be reliable. Seems like I just bought the JD 7700 but I reckon it's been might near 20 years ago.
If I have to I can still do some minor maintenance on the JD and keep it.
The JD is like the owner old and tired.
Thanks , Dwight E. Lambert, Alabany, Oregon

·
Registered
48 Posts
The bin size on a TR 70 is 145 bu and 190 bu with the factory optional extension. I have never seen one without the factory extension. I had one for 13 years. It was a good machine in its day but the later ones are better. I would encourage you to look for a later model like a TR 86.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We looked at a TR-86 after last fall. From what I've been told they are good combines if taken care of like anything. All the replies from above are true. We were detered in buying one though because of all the belts and matienance of it. We decided that we wanted something a little simpler so we went with a case. Just curious why leaving IH after 18 yrs of running them???

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don you are half correct, Two speed gearboxes were available long before the TR 99, most dealers were too stubborn/cheap/uneducated to order them. The two speeds were shown in the service manual back in the days of the 6 series. It would have been nice for using in pulses thats for sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Well half beats nothing.

I was switching TR's fairly regularly, always ordering (not stock ordered) and I leaned on them every time for 2 speed.
Never happened, my lobby just didn't pay off.

That why I thought the TR 99's were the first to have 2 speed.
Obviously got out of touch during my TX 68 days 97 to 99.
Yes a lot better in pulses and canola.

Don

·
Registered
561 Posts
We did have aTr98 with a custom cutter packae I believe it said "Harvest Special" or something to that effect on the side, It was my first experiance with two speed rotor gearboxes. Speakin of TX's did you ever try a 2 spd on one of those ha ha!!! Nice idea, but "wheres the torque sensor"?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts