The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1979 TR70 with ~4600 hours on it. I rebuilt the feederhouse at ~4000 hours with a new chain and all new bearings. Last year while doing corn it started making a noise from what sounds like where the feederhouse and the separator meet. It sounds like it is crushing gravel any time there is material flowing into the machine. You stop feeding material in, the sound goes away. When you are outside the machine or have the window open you can’t hear it. I took the slip clutch on the feederhouse apart and the piece the springs push on was cracked so I put a new one of those in, readjusted the springs to the book specs and it still does it. The feederhouse chain is tight and I am at a complete loss of what else it could be. Thought maybe collectively you might have had this experience, know something I am over looking. This is the machines last year on my farm, only have 30 acres of beans left to go, but I don’t want to sell someone something broken, and I don’t want to be stranded.

·
Registered
48 Posts
rotor timing it could be not talking it in at the right time?

ive had rotors out so many times one time we put 2 left rotors in the combine a TR85. and it would make noise and not feed in. that is what i know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check the feeder house drive chain. The double 60 chain. If it is too long the idler will contact the sprocket on the feeder house under load since the chain is pulled tight on the bottom. It has been too many years since I heard this noise to describe what it sounded like but I know it was hard to find since you had to be aside of it while the combine was operating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had similar problems on our TR85/86s. I found that the sides of the feeder chain was exposed causing the chain to grab straw and knock off the feeder chain off the top sprockets or buidd up on the sprockets. I added vertical flat bars to cover up the outer edges of the feeder chain links themselves on the feeder intake. Look up inside to see if the chain is off at the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.