The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been combining oats and barley the last couple of days and have noticed the monitor unit (elevators, straw chopper, fan speed etc.) at first would flicker off and then back on when lifting or lowering the header. I keep the bottom display on ground speed and it goes back to engine rpm every time this happens. Now it's doing it when I swing the unloading auger in or out and more recently it's doing it without using any other function. I've looked at the wiring diagram in the service manual, (Which is barely big enough to read with human eyes) and really can't tell where the power is fed into the unit from. I see several circuit breakers and a ground located at the transmission cable clamps, but the combine is at the customer's machine shed 20 miles away. Is it possible it could be in the monitor unit itself?
Also. with oats and barley are the grain loss monitors sensitive enough to detect anything? I had it on high sensitivity and turned all the way up and can't get more than one light to glow. It worked last fall when I finished corn, but then so did the other monitor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did pull that cluster out and sprayed the connectors with electrical cleaner. Might be a pin pulled loose in the plug or something.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i hope i can help. one of my tr 96's did that last year. it drove me nuts. i did every thing to find out what was wrong. i even swapped out the monitor with one from another combine and it still did the same thing. i finally found that the circuit breakers back by the engine where the problem. to figure out which one it is bypass the circuit breakers till you find the one that fees the monitors and replace it. its easier with two people. once i fixed that my problem was solved and never acted up again. good luck i hope this helps

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the power comes from way back at the engine? I found an online parts catalog and they show some breakers behind the console. I also have noticed that one of the air conditioner relays behind the seat keeps clicking, I added some freon because it was low, just wonder if that's running off the same circuit. Still keeps clicking though, and the AC clutch is disengaging every time it clicks.The tachometer and other readout come on whenever you start the engine, and the rest needs the seperator clutch engaged. Wish I could come across a better wiring diagram. I'll check it out tomorrow, thanks for the reply.
I found the monitor display on a dealer website and list price is 1900 some odd dollars!

·
Registered
61 Posts
when my monitor was acting it up it just got worse and worse. nothing worked on the console and it would flash all the time. dont go and buy one till you check some of this stuff out that sounds like a pile of money yikes!

·
Registered
125 Posts
You may not have a power problem to the monitored circuits since only a portion of the circuits is giving you problems. You could have a broken ground wire in the monitored circuits. The ground circuit is daisy chained from one sensor to the next to the next and so on. So a break in the ground circuit will put out the sensors down stream from the break. One quick test is to run a wire from the combine frame to the the unloading auger position switch located at the swivel point. At the switch attach the new wire to the terminal that has two wires (in one wire terminal) going to it. This is the daisy chained ground circuit. This additional wire provides a ground circuit. Since you did not mention that the unloading auger circuit was giving you a problem, but i suspect it is, this may or may not work.

The service manual wiring diagram is not right on the daisy chained ground circuit. You will see the daisy chained wire going from one sensor to the next and so on. The monitored circuits on the wiring diagram are not in the correct order In fact none of the TR model service manuals are correct.

After reading your other post you may have a power problem if the complete monitor is going out. I ran into this problem last year with the monitor flashing off when the head was raised. I believe also the head could not be raised when the monitor flashed off. When the monitor goes out can the head still be raised? I do not have a wiring diagram in front of me and my memory just is not what it used to be but the problem was either a circuit breaker in the cab console or a relay in the relay bank on the right side of the seat.

In your wiring diagram follow the power wire from the monitor back to the relay bank. I believe it was the relay that I replaced. You can switch the relay with one of the others to see if this corrects your problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleaned the connectors behind the console again and checked the breakers at the engine, and the thing never went out at all yesterday! Spent about 6 hours in the cab yesterday, now I'm really baffled!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try the relays located just under and behind the seat. I believe the one labled RUN RELAY controls the monitor. I had the same problem and it took me forever to figure it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts