The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last season the monitor stack to the right in the cab that lets you know if there is a problem rotors, fans, etc......kept resetting. It was knocking all of them off power and then coming right back on. Not one but the whole stack would act like it lost power. It usually happened after about 15 minutes of running. I could put my foot on the reel extender and that would stress the electrical system enough to make it reset. Of course it is almost continuous beeping. Due to it knocking out the whole stack it appears to be a ground issue. I checked the ground and replaced the switch that engages the ground which is at the bottom of the lever where you engage the machine. Can anyone steer me in the right direction of how to fix this issue. I have been told by someone else that you can turn on the lights exterior lights and it will stop the continuous reseting. I changed the relays around and that does not appear to be it. I put another stack in from a TR 87 and it did the same thing. I spoke with a dealer who believes it is back grounding somehow. I know of three 97's that this is happening to and no one knows how to fix. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks SB

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Could be a power problem, any place you can measure the voltage to it? The cab is isolated from the frame, is the ground strap still good? The electrical supply to this unit should have a power and ground wires in the cable, they should be isolated from the frame anyway. Check your harnesses for rubbing through where they travel along the frame, bend them back and forth the whole length, it's possible to have a break inside. Check your plugs in the harnesses, look really carefully, the problem will show itself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oil pressure switch

The engine oil pressure switch powers up a lot of the electrical system and is likely to be the cause of your problem. From memory the 97's had the switch threaded directly into the engine block if yours is still like this it would be a good idea to install a short about 6" hose into the block and then fit a new switch into the end of the hose. This is how the 98's were done. It is the switch with 2 wires the one with the single wire is for the gauge.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
That's not a bad idea, do they have a light and buzzer in that circuit too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had already checked the ground attached to the bottom of the gear shift and the ground strap from the cab. I also had checked the plugs at the back of the cab and tried to run down the wires traveling down the frame to the rear. I will try the oil pressure switch. Why the 6in insert?

·
Registered
117 Posts
It is to stop the switch from being affected by engine vibration. There is a chance that there is a genuine part number for the hose and I think there may have been a service bulletin about it as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same thing with my TR87. You know how that goes, you look after your combine pretty good in pre season and everything works good, untill you are in the field and just want to start combining and out goes the display.... What I did is: there is a fuse box I believe in the cab under the rear window, removed the latch, checked the fuses, nothing wrong, cleaned all the fuse holders, put it back together and it worked again, and never saw it again. I have to admit: this is one of those 'in field fixes' so I am not too sure about it, but this is what happened to me.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've had that problem in TRs and it always seems to be the relays down by the seat. Wiggle them around and it seems to fix it temporarily at least. Not sure what the real problem is though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts