The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are currently running a case ih 1688, and thinking of a newer combine for next yr. looking at a tr98 and a tr99. would we be happy with the change and are they of the same capacity. what are things we should be looking at. 8 row corn head and 25 or 30 ft. bean head. duals, 4wd............ thanks in advance.
chad

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I don't know what kind of crops or conditions you have, but from my own experience in irrigated wheat and irr. corn in west Kansas, I saw a huge difference in capacity of a TR 97, compared to my boss' 1680. I think the 1688 may have a little more boost than a 1680, but essentially, they are the same size. The big ( Series TR's are also the same overall size, although there are marked improvements in Hp and capacity from the TR 95 to the TR 99.

What really blew me away, was the neighbor's TR97, cutting well over 200 acres of 45-55 bpa irr. wheat out in Stevens County, Kansas. That not only outdid our 1680, but the 9600 [John Deere] as well. The J. D. 9600 is clearly every bit of a 200 acre/day machine in wheat. I can also testify that the NH is even a stronger, heavier-built combine overall, than either the Maximizer or Axial-Flow. You can go look at that, yourself, and see the difference.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The TR99 has a little more hp than the 98.The Rotor drive is a little stronger,less belt slippage. The bubbleup auger was changed for the 99 series and can be a problem if it is not updated to the last change, ours was updated 3 times (late model TR99). The TR has no problem staying with Case 2388s. Check to see if the muffler is cracked, if so it MUST be fixed or there will be expensive problems down the track.The cab controls can take a little to get used to.They are a good reliable machine as a whole.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I can test to a TR99 out doing a 940. The 940 is in the shop with the bearing on the thresher clutch gone so we've got a TR99 as a replacement. That TR99 whoops the 940 hands down. Why not get a bigger Axial Flow instead of switching to NH?

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with what's been said about the TR-99. I've owned and used 11 or 12 TR's since '78. No doubt the TR-99 is the best.
Several thigs the early TR-99's had a bad reputation for wearing out. Things like feederhouse chains, roller chains,elevator chains and the like. I say this because I've owned three TR-99's and only the latest one had much better wear characteristics. My suggestion
is for you to look at only a serial number above 566000. Which would be about 2002.
Also remeber that with the TR-99 the clean grain elevator is 3/4 inch wider a must or corn harvest. The 96-98's had problems with overloading the clean grain elevating system. Otherwise the TR- are most dependable on the market. I have been harvesting wheat out west in the summer for 15 years and we have never been down for major repairs during the season. We carry a extra for each belt and thats about it. The green guys especially, spend lots of time at the parts counters all along the harvest route. We've been putting maybe 200 hours on most of our macine and we like to trade for a one or two year old machine. Twin rotors are the greatest. I have experience with the CR's too. Most people say that the TR-99 will out do a CR940 any day, and in som cases a 960 too and uses lots less fuel. I do love the cab and the conveniences of the CR.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've never been that impressed with their capacity, they suck espeacially bad in Canola. The farmer here has one and had an Massey Ferguson with 220 horsepower, and in Canola they were neck and neck, everything else the TR 99 was better though. Now that farmer traded the 8570 for a Massey 8680 conventional and the TR 99 doesn't stand a chance, in windrowed flax the 8680 sometimes doubles the TR 99.

But we are in southern Manitoba where we get lots of straw usually, to the point where even the big Class 8 rotors and barely outrun an 8680 or for that matter even a TX

·
Registered
76 Posts
On flat land a CR940 will outcut a TR99 easily but if climbing hills especially like this year with soft muddy conditions the TR99 will not run out of power where the CR940 will. 2 reasons, one is the pump on the TR is a mechanical governor while the CR has electronics that will quit delivering any more fuel at a certain point. That point is absolute. Second because of the shear weight differences the engine on the CR is pushing about 2 times the steel around in the field to start with.

As far as fuel one guy I know who switched from a TR99 and TR88 to a single CR960 said the 960 was about as easy on fuel as the TR99 alone was and he is now covering the same ground with a single machine. Since a boost presure sensor on the engine was replaced he hasn't had any power shortage with the 960. In fact he said they averaged about 1000 bushel per hour in soybeans with stopping to unload at the semi.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Here in southwestern manitoba we run a tr98 and it is just a canola hungry machine. we are doing 6-7 mph on 40 bu on a 25' cut. so i think the tr has great canola capacity. Our r62 does put more grain in the bin than the tr does.

where in southern manitoba do you run?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I saw this in the Somerset, Notre Dame area. It also was in 25 foot swaths.

Not sure what it is, but the only place that the Tr can give the MF 8680 a run is if it is dry wheat. Everything else the 8680 walks away no problem, especially if the going is tough. From what I've seen in our area a TX 66 will also walk away from a TR. Not sure if it's the conditions out hear, or maybe the farmers just don't put too much consideration on grain loss.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Capacity of tr 99 to tx 36?

I was just wondering what the capacity difference between a tx 36 and tr 99 would be or even a tx66. We are currently running a tx 36 as our second combine and looking to upgrade. Looking for something with more capacity and more comfort.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.