The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard the bubble up auger was really changed, that seemed to be a real weak area on our 98 when we bought it, but we changed to a difference style gearbox and have had no troubles since.

the thing i wish was different between the 98 and 99 would be the clean grain elevator. it seems to always be full on our combine with the thresher not at full capacity. check into this, mabey its bigger on the 99

·
Registered
628 Posts
the Tr 98 are bullet proof combine we have over 3000 Eng hrs on ours and we have not done a whole lot to it other than maintenance. I have had a dealer tell the finally got every thing right by the time they got to the 98 and then tried to fix thing that are not broke on the TR99s. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Bubble ups are different, and the clean grain is bigger. Most significant difference in my mind is the cab door handle
. The 98's suck (especially if you're the passenger) but the 99s have a nice latch with an armrest. Sorry, I said passenger. Only instructors or instructees, as per the book and numerous stickers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am looking at a couple of different combines. One is a tr98 the other is a TR99. I was wondering if there are any differences in perforance and unloading capacity. I see a few aesthetic changes but was curious about functionality.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The TR99s' had bubble up auger problems as well and it took a few goes for NH to sort it out. Our TR99 had vibration troubles there from the start and NH sent two different updates to try and stop it. They got it right and it was not a problem after that. The rotor drive was better on the 99s' as well, less belt slippage. The later Tr99s had a little more horsepower as well (engine ID plate) although they never said so in the sales booklets that we received.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Maybe it should be stated why the bubble up was changed so much. When a bubble up is trying to push grain through a pile like on a 98 they find that it takes a lot of hp and can wreck a lot of stuff. So the 99 got a really tall bubble up that rotated down for clearance to remedy the situation. We've done the drive gearbox twice on our TR98 -once forced, once preventative.

·
Registered
632 Posts
98 had 1.8 bu. unloading 99 had 2.2 bu, it just ran faster, the sprockets were the same. 99 had a cup holder, and I think a few other cab changes....the early 99's had trouble witht he knuckles in the bubble-up auger. The reason they changed is cause of all the pressure on the bubble-up cause everyone started putting hopper extentions on and it was hard on the gearbox and the flighting would wear really bad. the ladder was heavier on the 99 as well. I missed a few things but thats about it really, little power I guess

·
Registered
48 Posts
You are right about the 98 unloading 1.8 bu per second and the 99 2.2 bu per second. I was unaware of that but I just checked my collection of brochures and you are correct. It is actually called peak unloading capacity, so I assume that it is less most of the time, you would have to have the ideal moisture level to get peak capacity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went from TR 97s to TR 99s. Found the bubble up augers worked great on the 97s, but both 99s gave trouble, hopefully the engineer who designed the 99 bubble up auger is not designing other things. There was several change ups to the 99 augers until they finally stopped updating them. Why they didn't go back to the 97 design I'm not sure. Also the 97s had more torque than the 99s until we took the injection pump to a diesel shop and got the governors to work. The torque sensing drive snap ring is prone to fly off and cause metal to metal contact and fires. We took off the hubs and machined an AN16 nut in place of the snap ring and locktight as well as crossdrilling allan screws into the nut to secure it on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd like to point out that while these points are all valid, different machines can vary as much as different types, especially when buying used. A later TR98 that was well taken care of could outperform a earlier TR99 that maybe wasn't babied so much.

We bought a used TR98 that was previously a rental machine. We've owned the machine for 5 years now and we're still finding problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts