The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get some ideas from you guys. The TR99 we just traded for has two cracks in the auger tube that goes through and into the grain tank. I have heard lots of troubles with this setup. I was wondering if anyone has just went back to the old setup like in the TR98? This is what I was thinking of doing. This works just fine and I don't have to worry about ripping the combine apart every 500-600 hours to replace this auger assembly. I appreciate all comments on what to do.
Thanks
Tr

·
Registered
37 Posts
oldTR,
The problem with the bubble-up auger on the TR-99's is the u-joint where the auger pivots to fold down. The square shaft at the u-joint gets worn and the auger gets to shaking.
The first thing to do is to check to see that the latest updates have been installed. Really the first thing you do is repair or replace the auger tube.
My suggestion is to put in a new auger without the top piece and doing away with the top piece. replace the top piece with a hyd. driven vertical auger that will fill the grian tank especially with the Maurer type extension, and not put undo pressure on the bubble-up auger. Maurer and maybe one or two other manufacturers make the auger that is supported by a pipe frame in the grain tank, and it can easily be folded down for transport or storage.
The in tank auger gets it's hyd oil from the reel drive circuit and is usually speed adjustable. We have had four or five of these in tank augers in the TR's and they work perfect. Just be sure you have it set right so that it doesn't fill the grain tank in the back first cause it might run over the back without setting off the full bin sensors
What do you think of this idea?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ECIfarm:
Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering if the u-joint assembly was the problem. The auger looks perfect. I do not know if the updates have been installed. How big of a job is it to install the Mauer hyd. vertical auger? I was also wondering if just replacing the u-joint assemblly would correct the problem?
Thanks again from your experience, it helps. Do you still run the New Holland machines?
Tr

·
Registered
405 Posts
Quote:ECIfarm:
Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering if the u-joint assembly was the problem. The auger looks perfect. I do not know if the updates have been installed. How big of a job is it to install the Mauer hyd. vertical auger? I was also wondering if just replacing the u-joint assemblly would correct the problem?
Thanks again from your experience, it helps. Do you still run the New Holland machines?
Tr

It is hard to just look at the parts and see if you have the latest updates. Does the top part vibrate much? Is the "hat" on top cracked around the bolt holes holding it? If so you could have a problem. One update never lasted 50 hours before it broke. The latest update has run for many Hundreds of hours and it could be over a thousand by now without problems so the new owner told Dad recently (machine was sold last year) and the new owner is very happy with it.
The first update included replacing the bottom part of the tube as well but I am fairly sure the rest only involved the top section with different augers in the tube.
Keep the grease up to the yoke in the centre.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now the combine has 695 separator hours . The auger tube in the grain tank looks perfect and no cracks on the hat . The only cracks I have found are on the lower half above the gearbox area and the plate that the gearbox attaches to. The new plate has a ring welded to it to give it more strength. I will have to find out if any other updates have been done. This machine was built in June of 2002.
Tr

·
Registered
37 Posts
OldTR Yes we still run the TR's. We currently are running our third TR-99. It's one of the last built. It's by far the best TR we ever owned or operated. However the bubble-up auger problem is the same with them all.
My guess that you have the original bubble-up auger. I think it was originally balanced in the factory. I would pull the auger flighting out check for any worn places on the auger especially just below the u-joint. Also if the flighting is still ok w/ out a sharp edge. Put the auger in a rotor balancing jig to make sure it is balanced. This auger runs quite fast so it needs to be balance. second try a new u-joint and square stub shaft. make sure it fits tight into the lower section. The center bearing hanger needs to be tight too. Start it up and see if it is running smoothly. If it is you can probably run another 500 hours or so before you'll need more repair. If not replace the lower auger w/ a new one. With the new u-joint and stub shaft you should be ok.
The alternative of course is to put in the vertical hyd. auger after you check the condition and balance of the lower auger. The hyd is easy to install. you just bolt the pipe frame to the sides of the grain tank and hook up the hyd hose to the reel circuit.
The gear box at the bottom of the bubble-up is critical too. The splined stub shaft coming out of the gear box is unique in that it is smaller at the upper end and at lower end. This is so if the auger is not perfectly in line. the stub shaft will not be stressed and eventually break as in the earlier models. A great idea.
It's sounds like you have a great machine that should last a long time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The machine is running in the wheat right now. We will tear into it after harvest. Its funny, little hydralic leaks from loose hose clamps, two lines for lateral tilt have pin holes in them have to be replaced. It is kind of like buying a used car, you will find something that needs a little attention. That is why I am glad to have some wheat to run through the machine now and find out if you we need to do anything to it.
Thanks again for the insights.
Tr

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I forgot to mention how we were doing in the wheat. We did not have to change the round bar concaves to small grain ones. The spring wheat has good thrashing qualities. This is a must from what I have heard. We are running the rotors at 1400 rpm and concave up tight. I don't know if this where you guys do it or not. The sieves are the small grain ones and kept closed to let in just the threshed grain. I do get a few whitecaps in the sample but with just the round bar concave in I don't have any complaints. The fan speed is 800-840 rpm. Ground speed is 4.0 mph with a 18 ft. windrow. This is about as fast as I can drive to where it seems to work. 70- BPA so it is a good crop here in Mn. Quality has been very good at about 62 pds. and the protein which is also tested here is running lower than normal. 13.5-14.5 it usually runs 1.5 to 2.0 pts higher than this.
The TR99 seems to move easier through the tougher straw areas than the TR98. Maybe more horsepower in the TR99. Could be my brother who just likes to go fast.
That's it for now. Finding aphids in the soybeans, will have to spray them next. More fun
Tr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts