The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after sitting overnight, this combine will fire right up for about 15 seconds then dies. Then it’s takes a lot of cranking to restart and then sputters and sputters before it starts. Runs great eventually. If I pump the primer pump on the injection pump, I can cut down on how long it takes to restart. So isn’t there a check valve in the system somewhere? Fuel filter body? Where fuel line enters pump?
Going to wear out my starter quick at this rate.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't know what that combine has in the way of check valves or lift pumps. I have a MF 860 540 V8 that had a copper gasket in a fitting that was slightly scored. It would allow air in the system.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Does it have the fuel filter that has the plastic piece you snap on to the bottom of it, it's like a water sediment bowl I think.
My 8870 NH used to start the same way. I replaced that filter with a regular complete one. Completely solved the problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If it runs for 15 seconds before running out of fuel I think that your overflow relief and the valves in the lift pump will be ok.
Wiggle the fuel line from the filter to the lift pump, if does not feel firm in the fittings check the nuts are fully tightened until they bottom on the fitting. If still loose install new olive seals on the tube.
You may have a misplaced seal or upside down seal on the fuel filter.
Not sure 100% on you machine but if you remove the filter and look up under the filter head there is a spring loaded rubber check valve. Seen numerous times a bit of chaff stuck in this holding it open.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My NH8870 did exactly what you are describing - it was the check valve in the return line that screws into the front of the pump with a banjo fitting. Couldn't buy the spring separately, just the whole check valve. Starts perfectly now and goes great, just make sure you replace the copper washers as well or it might leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts