The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at updating from a TR97 to a TR99 or a CR 940, am wondering the difference in performance, pros & cons.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a TR99 and I like it. It's a big step up from the TR86 that I had before. It will have more capacity than your TR97 but I can't say how much more. The early CR940 was underpowered and many said it would not keep up with the TR99. I think that was corrected in the later CR940.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
A Tr99 will have slightly more capacity than your 97. The big question is what are you harvesting and what are the conditions? If it is usually dry at harvest, then a TR99 is going to be a good machine for way less money (and way fewer creature comforts!). The same size rotors are in both machines, so in the dry they are pretty much neck and neck, except a CR has 10 to 12000 more lbs to haul around. CRs are easier to work on -they seem more thought out than the TRs. But there are probably more aftermarket parts for TRs for now. TRs, as you probably know, are kind of high wearing machines and it doesn't appear that CRs are as much.

So most likely I was no help. Dad and I demoed a CR940 when they came out against our TR and we stuck with the TR.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I use to run a CR940 back in Ontario before moving out to Manitoba. When the CR blew the tresher clutch back in fall of '06, they sent out a TR99. That 99 with an 8r head would run faster then the 940 with a 6. Direct drive compared to hydraulic. Put a CR cab on a TR99 and what a combine you would have. I'd take a 99 over a 940. My experience and from what i've been told, a TR99 and CR960 are more equal.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
It isn't an issue of direct drive vs hydraulic because both are basically the same drive system. It comes down to weight takes power to move.

How do you like how the air reel works?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The air reel works fine as long as the beans aren't lodged. . Last fall I had to do beans that were logged really bad due to a university trial on manure rates. Apparently too much makes them lodge. Go figure. Anyways I had to combine a portion of the field one direction. That took awhile. The reel would comb the beans up for me but the tubes of the air reel would push them back down. I think if I personally would have to buy one i'd get the crary air reel. With the tubes inside the reel it would have made it easier. Plus you can't combine wheat with the tube out front unless you dont want the straw. It just pushes the heads down otherwise. Other then that its awesome for doing edibles. It does pay for itself on hills though. I'll miss that combine though. Beauty. They now have a 9040.

I was born in Chatham on a Hog/cash crop farm but moved away at 7. Grew up in Ingersoll.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I am looking to update is because I need more HP! I am harvesting 90-120 bu. barley, and 100-140 bu. wheat (all irrigated of course)in dry conditions. I bought a 2003, 25' honeybee draper header which works great. It feeds so evenly that I can cut a little faster than my brother's TR98, even though he has more horsepower. I thought about putting an intercooler on it which would boost HP. The tr97 is getting some age on it, and am starting to have a few issues. Anyway, if I understand you guys the TR99 would be better in my situation. I am kind of struggling with the idea of owning another TR (not that I don't love the machines, we have had 8 including the 2 that we now run, starting with a TR70) mostly because of the way the CRs are built and thought out, the new cab, the in cab adjustments, and self leveling sieve. Is there any way to get more power out of the CR?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Yeah -buy a CR970. You're going to think its too big and way too much power but its the way to get big capacity. NH didn't just jam more power into the same design, they put 22" rotors rather than 17s in and have a larger cleaning system. The size of the machine, not just HP are what is going to give you mad capacity. As of right now our 04 CR970 (less power than the new ones) is doing 30% more than our TR98. But that's in peas and its tough to get the peas to feed down a 39ft draper header. Once we get to wheat I think we'll really watch the beast shine!

The class 7 combines seem to command a little more of a price premium in our area as well because most people don't think they need a class 8, so the CR970 was actually cheaper than a 960. We see the same thing with 8010s and 7010s.

I know we would have been disappointed with a 960, but the 970 is great!

·
Registered
67 Posts
New Holland in australia dropped the 940 after the 07 harvest and now we have the 9060/70 and 80 available. We had moderate success in selling the 940 and if you were to ask the guys why they bought one they would all say just to have a better styled machine, thats all. But performance wise yer not a fat lot of difference between the TR99 and the 940

1 - 10 of 10 Posts