The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How have the track options changed though the 400, 500 and 700 series machines?

What speeds were they and are they capable of?

On another forum someone mentioned they want to go up to a 760TT so they can have the better transmission that allows them to go faster when they turn on the headlands. In some recent phone calls though, it sounded like the only time models that have the high speed option are the 740's and 750's.

I guess I'm just trying to get a better idea of what the road speeds are for various machines. Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
740TT is 24.5 -25.0 MPH on road. I saw 25 a couple times, usually 24.7 seems top. First gear in field is 8.4 mph, 2nd is 11.5 -12. Need to lift header, turn off hydraulics and field lights to get overdrive (road gear) in 2nd. Can't move header when in overdrive and in Europe they can't use field lights on road.
8.4 in first is actually handier than the high road speed. When driving across field empty, I will stay in first instead of shifting to get 10 mph.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I am not an expert, but this info is close...

400 series, Generation 1 tracks. Not sure if they had pivoting mid-rollers. They probably all had 3 speed transmissions and not very powerful as the machines are heavy. 4 wd helps with torque. Guessing 15 mph

500 series, Generation 2 tracks, refined from Gen 1 and are visually different. Pivoting mid-rollers. I think all machines had 3 speed transmission and not real powerful. 595 had 2 speed transmission and likely more power. 4wd helps with torque as it reduced the gear speed. Guessing 15.5 mph and maybe 18 on the 595.

700 series, early machines, 740 had older Gen 2 tracks and weaker 3 speed transmission, 15.5 mph (what I have). 750 had optional Gen 3 (25 mph, hydraulic suspended, smooooth) with likely 2 speed powerful transmission. 760 and 770 had Gen 3 tracks, two speed powerful transmission, but only 18-20 mph.

700 series currently seem to not offer the Gen 2 design, only Gen 3 or tires. Appears to be all 2 speed transmissions with much more power than older 3 speed. They even offer their own Claas rear axle that doesn't, or almost doesn't slow the machine down.

The Claas is a heavy machine, always has been. If you have tracks, with the older 3 speed transmission, 4wd really helps give it more power. Otherwise, harvesting in 1st gear is pretty common to achieve power needed in hills. The track machine takes more power when turning, and doesn't turn as sharp as tires. The newer 700 series turn sharper than ever due to redesign.

If you want power, get the new two speed transmission. If you want fast road speeds, get the new two speed transmission with the 25 mph road speed on Gen 3 tracks.

The new 700 series are nice machines. I wouldn't be interested in a Claas without tracks...easier to service, narrow transport, very smooth in the field and road, less compaction, better resale. Really, it is the only dependable and comfortable track option available on any harvester today, factory or aftermarket, in my opinion.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not an expert, but this info is close...

400 series, Generation 1 tracks. Not sure if they had pivoting mid-rollers. They probably all had 3 speed transmissions and not very powerful as the machines are heavy. 4 wd helps with torque. Guessing 15 mph

500 series, Generation 2 tracks, refined from Gen 1 and are visually different. Pivoting mid-rollers. I think all machines had 3 speed transmission and not real powerful. 595 had 2 speed transmission and likely more power. 4wd helps with torque as it reduced the gear speed. Guessing 15.5 mph and maybe 18 on the 595.

700 series, early machines, 740 had older Gen 2 tracks and weaker 3 speed transmission, 15.5 mph (what I have). 750 had optional Gen 3 (25 mph, hydraulic suspended, smooooth) with likely 2 speed powerful transmission. 760 and 770 had Gen 3 tracks, two speed powerful transmission, but only 18-20 mph.

700 series currently seem to not offer the Gen 2 design, only Gen 3 or tires. Appears to be all 2 speed transmissions with much more power than older 3 speed. They even offer their own Claas rear axle that doesn't, or almost doesn't slow the machine down.

The Claas is a heavy machine, always has been. If you have tracks, with the older 3 speed transmission, 4wd really helps give it more power. Otherwise, harvesting in 1st gear is pretty common to achieve power needed in hills. The track machine takes more power when turning, and doesn't turn as sharp as tires. The newer 700 series turn sharper than ever due to redesign.

If you want power, get the new two speed transmission. If you want fast road speeds, get the new two speed transmission with the 25 mph road speed on Gen 3 tracks.

The new 700 series are nice machines. I wouldn't be interested in a Claas without tracks...easier to service, narrow transport, very smooth in the field and road, less compaction, better resale. Really, it is the only dependable and comfortable track option available on any harvester today, factory or aftermarket, in my opinion.
That is perfect, thanks. I really appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.