The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed from a 600 to a new 770tt with a cat motor so dropped back a few horse power but hardly ever ran the 600 at full engine load before sieve or rotor loss occurred.
Last year we got a 770 on tyres and cruise pilot and it kept up with 600 really well.
Yesterday reaping swathed barley up and down a reasonably steep rise there was no way the 770tt would keep up with the tyred 770 same motors same settings, is this just because track machine is heavier? , maybe new motor may need a bit more time to free up?
I'll try to attach some fuel and engine load charts
1009 is tracks
0506 is tyres

Cheers Simmo

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,038 Posts
Which engine?

Just changed from a 600 to a new 770tt with a cat motor so dropped back a few horse power but hardly ever ran the 600 at full engine load before sieve or rotor loss occurred.
Last year we got a 770 on tyres and cruise pilot and it kept up with 600 really well.
Yesterday reaping swathed barley up and down a reasonably steep rise there was no way the 770tt would keep up with the tyred 770 same motors same settings, is this just because track machine is heavier? , maybe new motor may need a bit more time to free up?
I'll try to attach some fuel and engine load charts
1009 is tracks
0506 is tyres

Cheers Simmo
Puzzlement.:confused:
In North America anyway all 770's have run Mercedes 16L V8's yet you say you have Cat.

You say it couldn't keep up yet they are nowhere near max fuel use.

It does appear however the track unit did do slightly less area on slightly more fuel but it is within machine statistical differences so I'm not sure how much use the chart is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep in oz we have 770s with either cat or merc engines
Cats are rated at about 520ish hp merc is around 560 I think

After a few hectares now fuel is no issue cause tracks are way way smoother and I wouldn't swap back.

I'm pretty happy with cemos auto haven't really used it enough yet but cruise pilot was awesome in lentils

·
Super Moderator
5,038 Posts
Yep in oz we have 770s with either cat or merc engines
Cats are rated at about 520ish hp merc is around 560 I think
I didn't know that you, or anywhere, had a engine choice, interesting.
Does this mean you don't have 780's?

Glad to see your Telematics works and you have tried out the new "updated" site.
Looks like one can see/print daily reports at home now instead of the cab printer and you can go back in time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Makes sense that tracks uses a little more fuel then tires since there is a lot more surface area on the ground but that is exactly why I went to tracks since our fields are usually wet in the fall and wanted less compaction. If I only harvested in dry conditions then not sure I would pay the extra for tracks.

·
Super Moderator
5,038 Posts
Makes sense that tracks uses a little more fuel then tires since there is a lot more surface area on the ground but that is exactly why I went to tracks since our fields are usually wet in the fall and wanted less compaction. If I only harvested in dry conditions then not sure I would pay the extra for tracks.
Here is a study from data generated 20 years ago last week I see.
Articulated Four Track Tractor Field Tests

Note point 4 and figure 15

4. Rolling resistance - In an effort to understand the lower efficiency of the rubber belt tractor, the towing force required to pull the tractor was measured. Towing force is similar to rolling resistance, although usually somewhat higher because of the gearing and drag from the transmission components. On the secondary tillage field surface following a start-up pull of around 2,200 N (10,000 lb), the moving towing force was around 940 N (4,200 lb) - see Figure 14. This compares to values of 560 N (2,500 lb) for a John Deere 8760 equipped with 20.8 R42 duals and values of 470 N (2,100 lb) for a Caterpillar Challenger 65. On pavement the start-up pull remained around 2200 N (10,000 lb) and the moving towing force was around 510 N (2,300 lb) - see Figure 15.
Figure 14. Time History of Draft Required to Pull Case 9250 Four Track Tractor in Secondary Tillage.

So the two track tractor was actually marginally easier to tow than the wheel unit, although 8 tires mind you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.