The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can u tell when the inside of the tracks on a quad track are getting wore out. They have enough rubber wore off the sides of the inner lugs that you can feel a ridge where they contact the metal drive gears. The two front tracks have no wear but both back ones are showing wear.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
At some point you may want to rotate them all around, font to back and vice versa. I doubt if side wear on the lugs will eventually force replacing a set. It’s more likely to be heat and engine radiation damage followed by stubble cutting on the front tracks where the lugs overlap in the center of the tracks. Anytime over 4000 hours is likely a good time, but you might want to extend that if it’s in an application where worn out tracks that will still go around and around would work just fine and traction isn’t the main need.

Rotate the belts only, by jacking it up, loosening them and removing the outer front and rear main idlers only. Lift the cogs out of drive wheel with a forklift or something.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At some point you may want to rotate them all around, font to back and vice versa. I doubt if side wear on the lugs will eventually force replacing a set. It’s more likely to be heat and engine radiation damage followed by stubble cutting on the front tracks where the lugs overlap in the center of the tracks. Anytime over 4000 hours is likely a good time, but you might want to extend that if it’s in an application where worn out tracks that will still go around and around would work just fine and traction isn’t the main need.

Rotate the belts only, by jacking it up, loosening them and removing the outer front and rear main idlers only. Lift the cogs out of drive wheel with a forklift or something.
The tractor only has 600 hours and the two rear tracks are showing wear on the sides of the inner lugs(the lugs that contact the drives on the planetaries). The actual lugs that contact the ground on the outside of the track look like new still. It is a Versatile Delta trac.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you done a track alignment? Wouldn't surprise me if they broke in a bit since new.

No, I am buying it and wanted to know why the rear ones are showing noticeable wear and the fronts aren't and I have looked at some Case Quad tracs with many more hours that are not showing the same wear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The tractor only has 600 hours and the two rear tracks are showing wear on the sides of the inner lugs(the lugs that contact the drives on the planetaries). The actual lugs that contact the ground on the outside of the track look like new still. It is a Versatile Deltatack

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem Had the dealer out We tried to retighten them the rea line them and still not any better. He did some calling around and told me they were not aligned proper from new and I would have to probley replace them by 3000 hrs😡 This will be my last tractor with tracks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem Had the dealer out We tried to retighten them the rea line them and still not any better. He did some calling around and told me they were not aligned proper from new and I would have to probley replace them by 3000 hrs😡 This will be my last tractor with tracks
On a delta track

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
If you get them aligned now I bet they will last longer than you think. Doesn’t really make sense to write off tracks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts