The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advices.
Tracks or tires on bigger grain carts (1300-2000 bu)? Pros and cons of these two options?
Not too much concerned about compaction, but rather thinking about operation on uneven terrain (hilly fileds) and wet field conditions.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tracks are smoother won’t leave a rut even when dry the bigger carts still leave a kinda rut. Tracks are more stable but more maintanence somewhere down the road

·
Registered
77 Posts
On big carts with tracks you will get ridges in similar size, (height), to a tire rut due to the scrubbing they do when turning loaded, especially if you turn real sharp - even in dry fields. But they are much more stable.

·
Super Moderator
3,545 Posts
The other people I harvest with got an Elmers track cart, it’s an 1150 (that’s all Trochu Motors could get, wanted a 2000) so has 2 small boggy wheels, the other people have a 1600 with three boggy track setup.
Both carts are the same height and width I’m told, the 1150 just shorter? Also has dual circuit hydraulic drive but fills tridem and tandem trucks so likely plenty fast.
Happy to get Libra/Agrimatics to check cal a plus.

The one thing that is carefully observed is large radius turns with a full cart on the 1600, it’s been known to have 50 t in it (stack test) and it is treated very cautiously.

I vote tracks.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I have never used a right hand dump, but I can pretty much guarantee it would be 100 times better than left hand dump. We got our first cart last fall because it was so wet, I hate that thing. Everything you do you are twisted around . Levers on the right, looking left, and left foot on the clutch. Anyone who has a bad back can tell you how comfortable that is.

Reactions: Slip clutch

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
I’ve got one of each and you only need the chaser driver to accidentally leave the auger up once and come flying up from behind the harvester that also has its auger out to know which one is better. Nope wasn’t me, I just had to fix everything. The only operating difference I’ve noticed is pulling up to unload and realising you’ve got the lefty not the right

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Maybe now but one of mine’s 28 years old and the other is 10. Both do their job and will probably out last me

·
Registered
697 Posts
I can manage to dump a combine for last 30 years with auger on left and controls on right I’m sure it’s not a problem for my guys running grain cart with auger on left.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I have never used a right hand dump, but I can pretty much guarantee it would be 100 times better than left hand dump. We got our first cart last fall because it was so wet, I hate that thing. Everything you do you are twisted around . Levers on the right, looking left, and left foot on the clutch. Anyone who has a bad back can tell you how comfortable that is.
That’s exactly it. Using something ass backwards and then defending it because you have used it that way for 30 years don’t make it right! 😂

All I can say is after having a right hand unload we wouldn’t go back ever. Still have a left hand as a constant reminder and can’t wait till we’re rid of it and have another right hand 2k Elmer’s. Actually I wish it was about 22-2300.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I get why guys think right is better but once you graduate to a big cart and hauling with super Bs a right hand cart is useless. Trucks have to be loaded on drivers side. Loading on passenger side does not work period without spilling mountains of grain. Need the tarps to act as back stops and need to always get weight on drives first. And as safety thing I want drivers and cart operators looking at each other at all times and not running around trucks or tractors when they need to talk to each other. And as others have said only takes once to rip a combine auger off And everything bad seems to happen at night when everyone gets tired.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I get why guys think right is better but once you graduate to a big cart and hauling with super Bs a right hand cart is useless. Trucks have to be loaded on drivers side. Loading on passenger side does not work period without spilling mountains of grain. Need the tarps to act as back stops and need to always get weight on drives first. And as safety thing I want drivers and cart operators looking at each other at all times and not running around trucks or tractors when they need to talk to each other. And as others have said only takes once to rip a combine auger off And everything bad seems to happen at night when everyone gets tired.
I dont understand this. As far as Im concerned you can load a truck from either side with either a left or right auger cart. And can load on drives first or wherever. Whats the problem here????

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Of course you can load from both sides. Maybe if you have nothing but retards in the crew you can’t
Again a right hand cart IS better I have both.
B-train pulls into the field makes an empty loop points to the approach.
Loaded 2K cart drives straight at the truck loads on the drivers side from the back to the front. Why the hell not you have 2K on. If your not fully loaded hit the front hopper when your down to 12 ton.

Bump the auger remote timer on the fly and loop back empty.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I dont understand this. As far as Im concerned you can load a truck from either side with either a left or right auger cart. And can load on drives first or wherever. Whats the problem here????
Are Canadian trucks are around 12ft high and from drivers side you can see the tarp hoops clear as a bell from a 4wd tractor when dumping. Canola, Barley and oats really like to bounce when your dumping 400-800bu a minute into a truck and on Super Bs front and back hoppers need to be really full to hit weight sometimes. So it can be really easy to bounce grain off the far side of the trucks when filling hoppers if your not on drivers side.
And the reason we always fill front first is so weight is always on drives of trucks if weather or a breakdown shuts us down.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Right is not a bad idea, than at least both the truck and tractor unload out of the dust on driver side. also, Do guys still jack knife the semi in soft fields so the trailer pulls out better. I usually jack knife truck to the left side anyways so the exhaust stack doesn't get hi so right would be great.
Any one run into costly track repairs? I have seen pictures where a loaded cart has resulted in one side of the track ripped off.
Whats the biggest cart the Ausies are pulling these days? any thing close to 3000 bushels?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts