The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have always looked at stuff on Tractor House, but never bought. How easy is it to buy something hundreds of miles away? How do you coordinate shipping and such?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Shipping is easy in Tractor House...just use their shipping app. and prepare to talk to a bunch of shippers. We've bought stuff hundreds of miles away but unless you make the trip and look at it yourself you're taking a chance. We always travel to the machine and check it out. We have had good luck though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of the stuff I am looking at are tillage equipment and manure spreaders. I would probably buy some of those unseen, but with a motor would be something else.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
ive bought 2 john deere 6850s online unseen and been very happy with both of them.bought 1on tractorhouse and 1on machinefinder.im in california 1came from kansas and 1 from canada

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have bought a couple things off tractorhouse. If the price seems to good to be true go look at it. I didn't on the one but figured what I could not tell was wrong with it from the pictures was not going to be more expensive than the difference in one close to home. Did get a little mislead, not all new sweeps on it, just a few, but still turned out to be a good buy after the sweeps and a walking beam pivot and a few tires, but hey, it was a used implement and I got through spring with it and it will do me for years yet I am sure. I have looked at some other equipment on there and just ended up finding something elsewhere was all. Trucking is the easy part. I have found a few companies, depending on the machine, if it fills the truck or only part of it depends on the company who has the better price. Moved a 42' cultivator from just south of Chicago to SW Ontario and a tractor from North Dakota and another tractor from Alberta to SW Ontario. If you are not in a big hurry, the trucking company can fit in a load very close to where your equipment is and then it costs them less, usually costing you less.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have gotten several things on line from several outfits . everything from a cat tractor a quadtractor cadi for grandma. honeywagon I even bought a cat combine and sold it two weeks later and never seen it. I figured with used equipment their are no guarantee always figure on worse case and hope for the best... I even found my wife online some 14 yrs ago ( couldn't find anyone that actually new me to marry me) I have been very happy and lucky (especially with my wife...) with everthing that I have gotten on line.. and have saved some $$$ I am sure I am going to get hosed one of these days though....

·
Registered
382 Posts
I did a lot of combine searching on tractor house last spring. I looked at several ones that were within driving distance and made several calls, eventually leading to one that I liked and I purchased it. I just had my dealer go pick it up and haul it to me.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know some guys who have bought tractors sight unseen, thousands of miles away. How do you even know what you are getting? Pros and cons? I guess a pro would be a much wider selection of tractors.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I know some guys who have bought tractors sight unseen, thousands of miles away. How do you even know what you are getting? Pros and cons? I guess a pro would be a much wider selection of tractors.
I think you've got the only pro. If one does get one that far away, and I can't see any reason one couldn't find a good machine much closer, do just like Central WI farmer said and get pictures of every square inch. Find an independent mechanic to check it out. Even then it's a pig in the poke. Find someone on this forum who might live close enough to check it out, but I sure wouldn't just buy it:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
A few years back we bought a 7710 tractor from a John Deere dealer a few states away sight unseen. They shipped it to a local dealer and we picked it up from there. After we ran the tractor for a few hrs the rear end started to leak oil. We took it to a local shop and found the park gear had a chipped tooth and that happened to hit a cover and put a hole in it witch caused the leak. The tractor had to get split. The dealer was easy to work with and gave us the parts to fix it and covered half the labor witch we thought was fair. Overall we were still happy, and even with the inconvenience had a fair priced tractor.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought a combine in Wisc and had it hauled to Ont. Found the model I wanted with the least hours and best condition. That's just where it was. Saved me thousands even if I could have found similar machine at home. Went to see local dealer to ask about trucking and brokerage and they offered to bring it home for me on back haul. This machine was on dealers lot and that gave me some confidence. Worked out perfect. Very happy. Will do it again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We just bought a jd 4930 sprayer out of Nebraska last fall and saved about $35,000 sight unseen. The dealer had too many and was rolling this one out as soon as he got it in. I bought it as is without running it through the shop. I was excited to see that they detailed it out and polished it up. I had to service it and fix a few small leaks and the boom breakaways, but other than that it has run great. I have not seen another 4930 within $30,000 even on online auctions. I feel we got a heck of a deal.

We are supposed to have a tillage tool bought from Kansas. The dealer is going to take a lot of pics and send them before starting paperwork. Saved $7500 over local.

We also bought a bulldozer sight unseen. It had a few more problems, but we accounted for that and we still got a good deal.

The key is asking a lot of questions and getting a good idea of the condition and history of the item.

We get the dealers to include the shipping in the price most of the time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would be fairly safe to buy non-powered implements, like tillage equipment, right? I see quite a few plows and such that I would like to get. Not a lot of stuff for sale around here.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You're right. Still, wear on tips, disks, bearings and shanks, wore trip devices, welded or weak frames can cost quite a bit. Nice thing about it is pictures usually tell a lot about the implement. I wouldn't be afraid to buy an implement from pictures.

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
It would be fairly safe to buy non-powered implements, like tillage equipment, right? I see quite a few plows and such that I would like to get. Not a lot of stuff for sale around here.
As Tjim said, non powered stuff yes as long as you get lots of good pics. As for a tractor or something, unless it is a low hour newer one, absolutely positively not even on a rainy day ever:eek: To do so with something older could and very well would be courting total possible disaster. Once they have your money, no dealer is going to stand behind any older machine, you will be completely on your own if an unscrupulous salesman ( and yes they exist) feeds you a line of bullshit.

I have "bought" equipment sight unseen, but I never paid for it until either I went and looked at or it was delivered and I was able to inspect it then. An honest salesman or one that knows you will do such deals. Any time I have done so, it is with the understanding the machine will be in the shape described to me or even better...which in all cases have been so. If a dealer is willing to load something on a truck and haul it to you before its even paid for, odds are things are on the straight and level. Then of course its time for me to man up to my word and hand them the cheque as agreed;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have purchased 2 tractors, 2 gators, 16/31 row planter, and a wheel loader all on Tractorhouse.com. We always go and look at what we are buying. We have found some pictures of equipment that are not representing what the dealer is selling. We also ask the dealer to run the serial # and check for claims and repairs. Had a wheel loader that had a major repair done with 6000 hrs and it showed only 4000hrs? When we buy used, we change all fluids and filters. Bottom line is , do your research.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts