The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a 2388 is a class 5 or a class 6. Also is there a list of changes made from the 2388's to the 2588's to the 6088's. Just found this forum and I think its great that Farmers have a place to share info so easily.

Thanks Loren

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Re: Traded a 2388 for a 6088 did I change class si

Same class 6 machine... but some really good improvements...the last two years the 2588's we had were a nice improvment over the 2388 we had....

So no....not a new class but probably the most perfected class 6 combine they have offered...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Casefarmer, I was pretty sure the 2588's were a class 6 machine , but I didn't know about the 23's. I didn't need a bigger machine than the 2388 and thought about a 5088, but I figured the 6088 will be a more popular size when it comes to my dealer having parts on hand, and at trade in time. I'm really looking forward to getting it in and using it this fall

Loren

·
Registered
279 Posts

We've ran the 2588's the last 2 years and they had a nice horsepower boost over the 23's. I don't htink there's any HP change to a 6088. Mostly just the poly shell on the outside of the 2588. In all actuality, with the exception of a very few minor changes, it's the same machine as the 1688. We ran the 7088 last fall, and it worked all right. I'm sure you'll be happy with your 6088.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

We almost went for the 7088 this year... i think that will have a good resale on it...but guess for us it won't matter... since we roll combines.... yeah theres probably just minor changes from a 25/6088 but some nice ones... heavyer drives....ect....

we finally traded in our 1983 corn head as well (1083) for a new 3408 so i hope we like it as much as the 6088.... guess we will see.....

·
Registered
363 Posts

I currently have a 2008 2588 combine I am thinking of trading up to a 6088. This 2588 IMHO has the perfect HP to combine size match. But checking the specs on a 6088 it has the same HP but weighs about 4000lbs more then a 2588. My question is if it weighs more, has the same HP would it not be under powered. If you would slap on an extra 4000 lbs on a 2588 I am sure you would notice a power loss.

This was a common problem with the early 8010's not enough power to utilize the capacity of the combine because so much power was needed to move the combine itself.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

that weights...a longer frame and bigger diesel tank.... but you raise a good question..... im not sure if i was you id make the change... but if you want to keep tradeing you need to do it yearly or every 2 years..im sure... Machines don't change they just get more expensive...

·
Registered
247 Posts

Pureel, interesting point. I have one of each and we were doing wheat last week until it rained. I believe the 6088 has at least as much capacity as the 2588 despite the extra weight, probably very slightly more. When I got up around the 100% power usage with the 6088 grain loss started to come into play and became the limiting factor, not HP. However this was on dry ground. In wet ground I think HP would became the limiting factor.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts

last year i had a 06 2388 and a buddy ran an 2588, with the same size header combines were close to the same, with the edge to the 2388, but we had the 23 chiped making close to 400hp, the 25 just fell back in heavy areas, for a class 6 machine they are real sweet, just perfect power to cleaning area, there is a reason case does not get rid of them all together

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Just thought I'd let anyone interested know that last week I went to a combine clinic in Bloomington Il on the new 88 series machines. They had 3 sessions on the combine 1 on the machine itself, 1 on the new A post, and 1 on the pro 600. The session highlighting the machines new features was the one I got the most from. It's been a few days, but I'll try to list a few of the changes from the 2588's.

1 Longer wheelbase to eliminate the need for rear weights with larger heads
2. 15% increase in clean grain capacity
3. clean grain elevator slack adjustment redesigned so that the impact sensor does not need to be repositioned after each adjustment.
4. New air screen (of course) actually it lacks an rotating air screen if favor of a rotating vacuum wand on a stationary screen.
5. 2 speed feeder
6. Feeder chain tension is spring loaded to take up for chain stretch
7. Heads lock on with a handle that you don't have to go under the machine to access
8. single point hydraulic & electrical hook ups
9. Feeder faceplate matches 20 series
10. New reverser that retracts and does not turn when not in use
11. relocation of hydraulic cylinder that operated the field tracker
12. Heaver axles, belts, chains
13. Unloading system is completely different than 2588, maybe the same as a 20 series not sure
14. bigger feeder lift cylinders.

I'm sure there was more, if I think of any I will add them

Loren

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

7. Heads lock on with a handle that you don't have to go under the machine to access

30 years too late... but thanks for finally figureing it out... its really sad that it took this long........

also to the guy who traded to the 2588 you will love the changes they made and really will enjoy that combine... its a great machine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts