The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on upgrading to a bigger newer combine and have had red for last 15yrs and have had very very low repair cost and would like to keep it that way. Very good friend just became one of the local JD salesman and is really pushing me to "get green".
I told him I do not like break downs and I have had very few of them in last 15 yrs. I harvest about 2k each yr of corn, beans and wheat. 8-30 corn head and 30 foot flex. Both dealers are local and good service. I just am haveing a hard time making the decision and I will admit am a little scared of breakdowns and learning a new green combine.
Capacity wise are they the same?? Just seems like way more moving parts on the JD and way more to go wrong.
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never ran a red combine,but I have ran green machines ever since they came out with a rotor. We are on a roll trade every year now, but I put five seasons on two 9760's with now problems outside of regular wear and maintenance. I run 9770's now with 612c corn heads and 35' flex heads. I would have to see a machine run harder than ours do to believe it is possible. We have no capacity issues at all! Ran a mac don 36' draper demo in 55+ bu beans at 8.1 mph(which is way to fast) with zero troubles. I think if you go to a John Deere you will be absolutely satisfied! Deere's service is second to none!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Your line of thinking is correct Cornstalks, stay red. Your maintenance costs will be higher with the 9660 than the 2588.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
We have a CaseIH tech. that works for us and there is many 88 series that the repair is $20,000 or more and some not that much, it depends on if anybody that had it before checked it and did the repair work or just ran it. This is with all makes. Dealer support is the big thing for you.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
IMO the 9660 is a better machine than the 2588 but if your happy with your red machine now and your getting excellent dealer back up is it a big enough difference to change? Probably not.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Your friends job is to sell you a combine for his company. Your job is to choose a machine that fits your needs for the least cost and trouble. Business is business and should have nothing to do with friendship. You already know red and are happy with it so why change. If it ain't broke don't fix it. But if you think green is a better machine or better value then go for it

·
Registered
590 Posts
Ditto, robmgrig's post.
This should be a business decision, based on your experience and knowledge.
But, it is your decision. Don't think too hard, or at all.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If your "friend"shows up with a case of beer to talk combines, and he gets you to bite- tell him you will need refreshments to drown your sorrows when you have down time due to repairs.

·
Registered
566 Posts
We made the change last year and have not regreted it one bit. IMO the red machines that were produced in Moline were better machines. A 9660 with a bullet rotor will out perform the 2588 in beans not sure about wheat. Our experience with the jd has been limited though also and we started with a new machine also. Another thing is if you buy a new one they will also put on the a discount for movin'n to the deere.

·
Registered
961 Posts
in the last four years with our 9560 and now a 9660, i doubt we've had more than $500 dollars worth of repairs. A few general wear items but very few of that either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
in the last four years with our 9560 and now a 9660, i doubt we've had more than $500 dollars worth of repairs. A few general wear items but very few of that either. Wow! $125 per year in repairs! That would be very impressive if it were at all credible.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i will not swear by that number but that would be real close. we literally havent touched them besides a few little general maintenance items like i mentioned befor. thats why we'll keep buyin them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts