The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody regret such a trade? Is the flex worth the extra money? Should be better on peas- not so sure about wheat

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Won't make any difference on the cereals but if it's peas or beans you are after then an actual flex header is probably the route to go. Been running/running with both for several years and the FD140 leaves more behind when you need to cut low.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
We traded a 2152 on a FD75 a couple of years ago. I was surprised how much they gave us on trade at RME. I can't remember the number, but I believe it was around $30-40k they gave us for it.

I don't think you'd regret trading.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Naaa, nothing cuts lower than MD... u drop her on the ground and let the float take over ... the nice feature is your reel fingers can nearly drop down to the cutter bar ... you ll never do that with a auger ... if you get any short beans you’ll need those few inches... Cant beat a Draper , but you knew that coming from a rigid Draper ...

I don’t think you’ll be sorry , but your wallet is Gonna be sore Lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for input- so sw I get the feeling you’re happier with your airflex vs your macdon- you have a few of each?

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Thanks for input- so sw I get the feeling you’re happier with your airflex vs your macdon- you have a few of each?
In general yes. Although nothing is perfect the actual flex heaer cuts lower and puts more crop in the header. Where it struggles is in really short beans where the reel struggles to get them over the panel at the front, an air reel would help in this situation with both headers actually. Unless they are droughted soybeans this basically amounts to saline areas, but some varieties have low pods everywhere. The height of cut is most important. Peas basically are a big blob all connected together, so if you cut below the pods it all goes in the header, making cut height THE factor in peas. Remember this: The Macdon header is called a flex but it is not, it pivots at two places. This means it will follow the ground as good as a 40' 3-section cultivator, and a flex is more like an independent opener drill. I don't hear anyone bragging up their cultivators for accuracy anymore. Also the airflex can be set to exert almost no ground pressure, in mud that is the difference between harvesting and making a mess. Can be set to almost ride up on stubble. The Macdon will have pressure points like the edge of sprayer tracks/high points or uneven ground/etc. I do think the Macdon is a better canola header, but I didn't spend much time fiddling with the Airflex and just went and bought a Vario. Now there is a good header in canola, I can absolutely own the Macdon for speed and even-ness of feeding in canola. The Vario from what I have seen is just as good in cereals as well, even late at night when crop gets very tough. Everybody ran a Case or Deere auger head back in the 80's and 90's and that is what they feel the auger head still is, well the Claas auger head is not anywhere near what people remember. If I just did wheat and canola I would own a Vario and that's it.

That's the long and short of it, all the Macdon loyalists on here will probably cry foul but that's been my experience. Don't think I have any bias because I have owned and extensively used and played with each.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts