The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yes and it scared the @#$t out of me. I went from 20 mph to dead stop in 8 ft. I had the header on and it pushed it into the ground and broke a wheel spindle on the way back down. Got bad bruising all over my sternum. The worst thing is, it went straight to a shop, they pulled the gearbox to pieces and could not find a fault. They had 4 mechanics go over it, I went over it and a another custom cutter who is good with tools had a look. Could not see why it did it. Anyways put it back together and back on, did not happen again but I have never forgot it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
combine stopped in three feet with black skid marks on pavement chest sore ,daughter hit winshield head bruised and scared but ok. Combine pickup header wrecked but everything else seems ok. Back wheels must have come off the ground 6 feet. Thank god I had a header on though . It happened so fast I am still shaking.I sure hope they find a reason when the mechanics look at it on monday.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I hope your daughter is ok. Mine was a 9650 walker as well, it didn't damage the header but sure made a mess of the back end. When the spindle broke, it bent the steering ram and tie rod like a banana. Let me know what they make of yours, like I said they never found a fault with ours. It took me a while to get back into third gear I can tell you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
A neighbor had this happen on a 2188 when it was fairly new, I dont think they ever found the reason either. Makes you wonder since its happened to so many different brands new or old. Glad everyone is ok. Just think of the strain on the final drives since force is applied opposite of what was designed and at much higher force.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I always thought the headers would keep the bine from completely flipping over, but I did see a completely upended Massey 760 or 750, while on harvest, near Cherokee, OK, back in 1981. No header. The machine was in full headstand, perpendicular to the road. Most likely that one was brought back to level safely, without severe damage to the back axle.
Just as Bee says, it happens to ALL makes of combines. It's a hydrostatic thing, I suppose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have not seen this yet on a combine but have seen it on a 5820 chopper customer was lucky going up hill on the road in hi and it stopped so fast it slid 3 feet and dug in about an inch, found the pressure switch fell out and dumped all the oil,not to mention the damage internally.
The steering wheel did win on his chest.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had the balljoint on the hydro fall off in a 9610. Luckily I was in the field, I could see that being a real attention getter on the road.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I guess that's why they put seat belts in combines, not that I've ever used one. Reminds me of pushing snow with a skidsteer- you only hit one manhole cover before you put your seat belt on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts