The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing more and more about different products that can be used with seed treatments or on there own at seeding... Growth hormones are relatively new as a seed treatment app and I would like to throw the question out there If anybody has real field data to backup any of the claims or just any good data or feedback??? Two products that popped up on my radar are Stoller’s “Fortified Stimulate Yield Enhancer” and Taurus’s “Active Prime PLS”.. any comments appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Every time I have tried these types of products they have failed to pay their way. They all sound good but have been a waste of money in the end. If you have a different experience with them let me know. Using disease free seed without any seed treatment has given us the best bang for our buck the past few years.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Two words come to mind “snake oil”
All these products are a joke IMO!!
These companies have basically no evidence but a few drawings of a better root system. I’m not an artist but sure I could draw something that looks believable. I do add a seed treatment, and that’s it. Spend an extra $5-10 ac on fert and get some good rewards, then this nonsense crap they try pushing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My simplistic way of looking at it is I don’t want any sort of growth regulation early, I want that plant to get out of the ground ASAP!
Manipulator is a growth regulator that has finally been made available to us, and provides varying levels of proven benefit. After that, “Growth regulation” seems to have become the new buzz phrase for new products and different fungicide cocktails and timings.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The margins on these seed treatment additives are huge compared to our other inputs. I am very skeptical on most of these products. The “how do you know if you don’t try” line is getting very old for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
but but its only 10$/acre. biggest problem is with lots of these things is its hard to know what actually helps during certain conditions because they claim to to add root growth and make better plants, well thats pretty broad. at least traditional seed treatment you know during what conditions they perform best and you can decide when best to apply them.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can buy them in powdered form on eBay. I bought some probably 5 years ago intending to mix up something in ratio comparable to a popular commercially available product for a huge discount but never got around to it. Was going to use kinetin, gibberellic acid, and indole butyric acid. They are not labeled for farm use of course. It was something like $0.20/A at the time.

Maybe it's time to get a experimental greenhouse going while I self isolate lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with most of this as I also have tried many products and have yet to find a yield advantage to any of them.. I did a few yrs of seed treatment trials and not once had the check been different from the treated in the end.. Yet we still do treat our early planted crops for whatever reason.. I was curious that if some of these actually worked, maybe we are better off vs applying regular seed treatment..

·
Registered
472 Posts
its a been a few years since i did research with these primers but i remember doing some plots and comparing them to Dividend and Cruiser. all summer they looked as good or better than the fungicide seed treatments. come harvest not so much! the simple fact of the matter is i use seed treatments to enhance survival with early seeding dates bc you can have early seed sit in cold soil or under a snow bank for prolonged periods and you dont want it to rot! some of the dates we have been going recent years you want the seed in the ground but you dont necessarily want it up!

maybe use with later seeding dates to accellerate emergence? its pretty fast anyway coming out of warm soil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts