The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some cropland and it has about 2500 nice 6'-12' trees planted in rows. Spruce, Russian Lark(Larch?), tower poplar, shrubs, Pine.

I think my kid needs a project so I'm going to buy a spade and sell trees instead of mulching them.

Any suggestions on brand or models? 3point, loader mount or skid steer mount? Buy a 50" to begin with and let the trees grow into it?

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Damn wish you were close. I would love to buy the evergreen.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Mulch them and I am coming to kick your ass lol. I don't have a opinion on brand but personally I would stay away from 3pt stuff. For resale of the spade, few people have something big enough to handle the weight/ size. Enough guys own skid steers to easily sell it(even if they don't know what it takes(it fits)), but there are a few outfits that have self contained trailer units which is what I would look at. Use a pick up tractor etc. Rented one from a guy and it was great. Go to the bush with the nodwell, grab my trees, switch to the truck and plant them where I wanted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought and older skid steer mounted one and made a bracket to fit the euro mount on my loader tractor make longer hoses to the back the more roots u can take with spruce the better I found once they get bigger than 10-12 feet or so they seem to have a tougher time getting going again

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
You can drop off my trees first as your otw to Brents. My place is halfway to his

Reactions: bjtjjl

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
Trees are just east of Lacombe (north of Red Deer)
There is or used to be a large tree nursery just off Hwy 2 there north of Red Deer in that area, just west of the hwy at a bend in it IIRC. When old Fred Bilby the cattle hauler out of Winfield broke his leg many years ago, a friend who was driving for him asked me if I could help out now and then till Fred got back on his feet. Other than haul a lot of cows, I ended up hauling trees out of that nursery down to developments in Calgary. Shittiest loads I ever had to try to tie down and haul lol
But my point is, if you are in that area, there is a chance that nursery or one like might just buy those trees from you and deal with them on their own. Perhaps something to look into.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That would be a dream come true of mine, to reclaim some of these acreages and weekend warrior quarter sections with random trees planted all over and at random angles cutting up otherwise productive land. I did get to work up a good section of lawn and put into crop last year, that was satisfying. There is a good quarter for sale very close to me that has been absolutely ruined, driveway all the way across at a winding angle, trees everywhere, new house on the best most productive portion. power poles. Has been for sale for years now, only ones buying are farmers, and we can't afford the house, so it will go unsold until either the economy turns around, or the price gets back to the value of the farmland minus the cost of removing the infrastructure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts