The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a person be better off with two good tandem trailers, or one new tridem and a tandem that is strictly for farm use ( do not want DOT to stop it:eek:). I can trade off good aluminum tandem for a tridem, or for about 15k more keep our tandem and buy another tandem. We haul about 4000 tonnes a year to elevators (50-120 miles roundtrip).

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I'd recommend the tridem trailer. More trips than a super B but less maitnence and more handy at harvest, just don't get one with the rear dump.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
If you have that kind of volume to move...why aren't you simply hiring your local grain hauler running superBs if you want a lower cost solution? I understand wanting to do things when you want and such, exactly why I have my own, which is only a tandem, well actually an A train in fact, of which I no longer pull the pup as a unit except on occasion. I am hauling similar distances for local deliveries such as canola or local feed markets. But in no way, when moving larger volumes, or having to travel further yet, can I come close to competing with the cost of what my local trucker charges. I'm burning almost as much fuel and putting as much wear and tear per trip, and it takes me just as much time to haul 23-25 tonne as it takes him to haul 44. So yes I haul my own when I can ship locally within say 100 miles if it's only a few trips, anything more distant or on large volumes, it's hired out. I just can't run my own truck for what he charges, but of course, things are then at his convenience as well, which I don't really care for. But it all comes down to dollars in your pocket at the end of the deal.

If you want to maintain your freedom to do as you please, which I can completely appreciate, my advice would also be go with a SuperB simply based on volume and distance.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Would a person be better off with two good tandem trailers, or one new tridem and a tandem that is strictly for farm use ( do not want DOT to stop it:eek:). I can trade off good aluminum tandem for a tridem, or for about 15k more keep our tandem and buy another tandem. We haul about 4000 tonnes a year to elevators (50-120 miles roundtrip).
Not many read the question correctly. When your contract is open and your elevator has space, you dont haul with one if you have 2 available. 2013 is not that long ago is it?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I would say too that from a distance stand point the Super B would make sense but that may not mean it justifies itself for your farm. The cost outlay in itself, then requiring a truck that can pull it properly out of a field as well as on the highway, if you would have issues with room in a yard to unload it during harvest, just washing that whole unit during the winter after a few loads, feeling comfortable handling such a unit or really wanting to.

So if you are trying for a middle ground, I would say a tridem trailer could be a viable option although I agree even though we have one, its not as if we can haul that much more with it over the tandem but it does add up though, both hauling to the elevator and the volume it moves off the field during harvest. It certainly pulls harder then a tandem though, off the field for sure and down the highway its just not like a tandem trailer and takes more approach to get in/out of fields. If you want to stick with your current trucks, being able to hook onto someones tridem and go for a trip or two might tell you if its for you or not. I'd definitely say from a unloading aspect in a yard, not to get a third hopper out the back style but the two hopper tridems can be harder if not impossible to get enough weight on the trailer axles with lighter products and why some three hopper ahead units can help out in that regard and if you are needing three hoppers for product during seeding.

Lets say you wanted to restrict your choices between a tandem or tridem, I would still say to look at getting the longer distance hauls custom hauled and reserve your trailer for the closer hauls.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Go with the 2 tandems. You already have the trucks and i assume the manpower to drive them. You will haul 52-55 tonnes per trip (with both trucks). Thats more than a super B. And way more than a tri. You will prefer the tandems at harvest, and they are cheaper to purchase. Also, good tandems dont depreciate that much. If in a couple years you want something bigger, you wont be out hardly anything

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Go with the 2 tandems. You already have the trucks and i assume the manpower to drive them. You will haul 52-55 tonnes per trip (with both trucks). Thats more than a super B. And way more than a tri. You will prefer the tandems at harvest, and they are cheaper to purchase. Also, good tandems dont depreciate that much. If in a couple years you want something bigger, you wont be out hardly anything
Oh course you could split the super B for harvest then you have two trailers with almost tandem capacities and the maintenance of one good highway tractor to take product to market. That additional seventeen ton rides relatively cheap compared to another truck.

But if a Super B isn't even a consideration I'd definitely go with a triaxle.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use two fairly new tandems and love the setup for harvest and the elevator. I am actually considering either a third one or a couple two hopper tri axles. You just can't beat the ease of use during harvest of two hoppers with enough spread to get a swing under in one move. We are in and out of the yard in exactly 10 minutes dumping 1300bu.

I'm sure most guys dont load legal out of the field either during harvest like us so a tandem is a lot like a legal tri ;)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
A neighbor has a three hopper Doepker Tridem with what a few years ago was the standard wall height, I believe that would be called a 79" wall as there are higher options yet. His comment was that if full off the field it will just nicely fill one of the old Westeel 1650 bushel flat bottoms. That's a nice load of wheat, especially when his was weighing up to 66 plus lb per bushel :D

I do wish Super B's had more room from the dollies to the front tires but those that have the electric movable swing section hopper say it doesn't work bad as you hit the remote and get it swung under and even have a camera on the auger and monitor in the truck to see whats going on. Then for sure you would need a different highway tractor to pull them as a set while hauling to the elevator or I would certainly think so.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
I use two fairly new tandems and love the setup for harvest and the elevator. I am actually considering either a third one or a couple two hopper tri axles. You just can't beat the ease of use during harvest of two hoppers with enough spread to get a swing under in one move. We are in and out of the yard in exactly 10 minutes dumping 1300bu.

I'm sure most guys dont load legal out of the field either during harvest like us so a tandem is a lot like a legal tri ;)
Usually a legal load of wheat on a tri axle is a around 1150 bushels, not 1300.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would recommend tri-axle. Don't need any more driveway for 45ft tri vs 42 ft tandem, we've had both, sold tandem got another tri
I agree with you choosing one tri over one tandem. The option however is one tri or 2 tandems. Two tandems will haul much more to town much quicker.

If you get a 37ft tandem it feels significantly handier compared to 45 tri.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
We were running a tandem axle and a tri axle when I unexpectedly bought a super B at an auction sale. Thought we would sell one of our other trailers. Glad we didn't. We used the super B a bit and it was a royal pain that winter. Always spun out when empty especially in smaller yards that weren't meant for them. Still had to run with two trucks to get our grain hauled in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.