The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a user of Farm works for many years, I found it easy to use and it had a good ability to adapt and enter new machines and inputs, Labor and the like. Its ability to talk with multiple colors of machines was also impressive.
The new Trimble platform is very challenging and not so simple to use. I feel that it has been a big step backwards and while it can access NDVI images and the likes and create vary rate maps, overall it is a disappointing product to use.
So what are the alternatives?

It needs to be simple, multiple user access, multi machine brand compatible and not out of control access charges.
Looking forward to your thoughts.

· Registered
777 Posts
I've stayed with the FarmWorks version of the program instead of the new Trimble platform. Since Trimble announced the end of life on FW, I too am looking for something else. The original creators of FarmWorks now have a new company called Traction Ag. I'm not excited about it because it's cloud based. My farming records will remain on MY computer, not in the cloud.

· Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I’ve got the desktop version the last update before they turned subscription based and will use that till the end of days! 😂

Screw buying into something cloud based and subscription forever.
I’ve stayed with SMS since it came “free” with the first NH I bought. Always very simple to use & didn’t matter what colour. That was until the advent of Trimble “Precision IQ” firmware !! I’ve been told by AgLeader that they’re “working with Trimble” to fix this problem.
I too will not use “cloud based” software to store my data. It’s MY data!
Subscriptions ........ yep I’m not a great fan of those either. However, I can totally understand the reasons why some sort of subscription is required. As a person who has had a fully self reliant app developed, & have the constant upgrades & improvements done as required, it all costs money to do. So a reasonable yearly subscription fee is quite acceptable to me ...... so long as there’s value in the initial app & improvements/updates as required.
I’m thinking about the $ amount of yearly subscription, after initial purchase. We’re not talking big dollars here. The information provided is multitudes of times more valuable than the yearly subscription cost. So long as the end user sees & recognises value in the product, a small yearly subscription cost will not be considered a cost but an investment.

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with your concerns about the cloud, It does have massive advantages and is convenient especially with multiple users.
But we do open ourselves up to having our Data harvested ( so to speak) and it then being used for good and bad purposes.
I just feel that some of the cloud based programs are double dipping in that they charge us for using it and then sell collected data to some other organisation.
Now if they were up front about it, and explained what they were up to then i might be more accepting, but as yet i have not found any that are open about this end of the business. I can understand why they are not, but it still leaves a layer of mystery about what we are involved in.
The other issue is that, like in the case of Farm Works, you have a company that does a good job and has for many years and then they get taken over by somebody else who might have a different philosophy and then it all goes in a different direction, one that as a user you don't get any say in what happens. So then apart from just putting up with it and accepting the new situation, one has to look around as i am now for the next program, get familiar with it and get it working and learn how to best use it. then only to have it taken over and then another change of direction or focus by the new owner and i am back to doing it all again.

· Premium Member
2,916 Posts
The Trimble online stuff has improved greatly in past years.

You want just the data side of things or the accounting side also? I used to farmworks for all when this post was made or around then. I now use Trimble online, farmworks for a few planning things, and quickbooks.

· Registered
8 Posts
I also raised the problem in another topic, if you think about it, take a look
Precision
I'm just getting to know precision farming, for now I'd still like to manage data from different systems, in one system

First, recording the work done within the field boundary, later creating application maps, differential fertilizer spreading, sowing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts