The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin to find the best guidence for our apche sprayer after this year. The deere is not working like it should. Lookin at a trimble autopilot system. Just wondering your thoughts and how its workin for you. Thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Not sure how a trimble would work on apache, but I have the autopilot on my case 4420 and love it. I am just using waas. The ez-boom on the other hand could use some improvements.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ic. the ezboom we were thinking also since its not to much money. How does your trimble grab your ab line when you turn?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
My trimble autopilot will grab the ab line fine, but it does some getting used to running it. I have to slow right down to about 5 mph when I turn and let it get perfect on line before speeding up. I make 2 headland passes. If you touch the steering wheel at all when you are turning it will delay the engage time on the autopilot. Took me a whole day to realize that I was slightly touching the steering wheel on the turns. I now start the turn on the steering wheel and once the next ab line turns red I engage the autopilot. I am 100% happy on the ab line performance, but I only do broadacre work, no row crop. Getting the trimble to do guidance on the second headland can be frustrating. It works perfect sometimes, will do no guidance at all on round 2 sometimes, and be very jerky other times.

The ez-boom works ok, it just has a few minor things that annoy me. There is no easy way to overspray an area. Often I will want to hit a big patch of grass with a second application and it will not do this, or when the sprayer is runs out of product, it would be nice to overlap that area some when you start your next tank, but there is no easy way to do it.

Also when turning on the headlands it will turn on the outer boom nozzles when you are whipping around to get on your next ab line. If the booms extends past the headland by 30' it will also turn on sometimes. Not great if you are killing your neighbors crop.

Certainly the ez boom works well for most things, just be carefull on the headlands.

·
Registered
961 Posts
we also have trimble on our 4420 and absolutely hate it so far. it even keep things goin in a straight line on layout ground much less come close to following rows. about grabbing the line when you turn, just make sure you have your seatbelt on cuz its gonna be a wild ride. it constantly goes past the line before it finds it and then starts goin from side to side unless you are going under 3 mph when you engage it. and the FMX is the farthest thing from operator convenience i've ever seen. not set up at all with a sprayer in mind.

so now that you know how i feel about it, does anyone have any suggestions on whats wrong? (not to hijack the thread) when driving thru the field, it seems like the gain and aggressivness is plenty high, but it seems to wander too far left and right before realizing that it needs to make a correction, then it jerks it back online and goes too far. what needs to be changed? the service guy was out for an hour or two the other day and didnt seem to change a whole lot.

·
Registered
961 Posts
what you said about ez-boom is exactly what i have experienced. like you said i like to overspray when i run out or on a thick patch of weeds but the only way i've found to do it is to go on manual? also like to create a boundary and map out how big the field is.........unless i'm just not lookin in the right spot, theres no easy way to do this either.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes the only way to double spray is to change to manual. Are you using the EZ Boom for rate and boom switching? If it's only for boom switching, come to a complete stop, move your "1, 2, M" switch to Manual, then it will allow you to double spray. At any time you can move the switch back to 1 or 2 and it will return to automatic boom switching.
As far as the autopilot goes dragoguy, It seems like your PGain is to high. Also make sure your look ahead for the GPS is correct. I have best results around 1s. You can also reduce your line acquisition to stop it from throwing you out of the seat. The FMX/FM1000 is not ideal for sprayers, I agree, but it will do everything you need it to do if your dealer has enough knowledge on the display.
You can send me a message if you would like to discuss further.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those of you having trouble with the steering performance need some fine tuning on your autopilots on the sprayer.
yhe best way to do this is use AP toolbox 2.89 and edit several things.
1. take your approach aggressivenes down to 58% and you will have to use the the advanced configuration to bump your dead zone left and right probably 4 to 5 points each side. your Pgain will likely have to be modofied to approximately 16 to 18 on your 4420's.
these are a few suggestions that will make it run really well. make sure you have an experienced tech to help you with this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Marking out a paddock with the FMX so you know how large it is can be tricky...you have to start by recording a full headland then infill the field. Something they need to improve on for sure!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dragoguy, it sounds like your aggressiveness is too low or your Pgain is to low. If it wanders back and forth, one of those is too low. If it oscilates back and forth really fast and gets worse and worse, lower your aggressiveness and then try the Pgain if that doesn't work. The Pgain is for major changes, and the aggressiveness is for more fine tuning. Also, if it jerks you out of the seat when it is getting on line, lower the line acquisition aggressiveness. Don't be afraid to play with the Pgain and the aggressiveness. I spent 3-4 hours after the tech set us up and I learned a lot and got it running better than he had it. I have no experience with it on sprayers but we planted all our row crops with it and are now cultivating down the same AB lines we made earlier with no issues. It's all in how it is set up and calibrated. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts