The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be going with my first guidance system on a combine next year. My options are the FM750 or FM1000, not going to be doing any yield mapping ect...... Just auto steering and cameras. Going to be running a 35' 1050 Maxflex Claas head with this setup what do you think of the level of accuracy you need with a combine? Is waas good enough for a combine? Or does a guy need to go to RTX, omnistar........ect....

·
Registered
255 Posts
I use a 750 in my tractor with rtk. When I do some sowing for a neighbour I am out of range from my base station so just use a free to air signal. It still steers straight just have to nudge occasionally to correct the drift.
Same thing with the Intelliview in my combine. If repeatable accuracy isn't an issue the cheaper signal will be fine. Still steers fine just have to nudge across sometimes.
Have no experience with cameras but my thought would be that maybe the larger screen of the FM 1000 would be easier to see.

·
Registered
151 Posts
We ran a 750 in ine combine this fall, worked well. Had one camera hooked up and liked that as well. Waas is good enough for a combine I think. How it steers is a lot about settings and a little about signal. The upgraded versions are just consistent, waas likes to crap it brain out every once in awhile.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have both. I much prefer the 1000. We use centre point rtx in the 1000 and range point in the 750. We had Rtx in the 750 last year. The 1000 can do much more. And is easier to use. If you can swing the extra $$ it is well worth it. At the very least use a centerpoint subscription. Way better than waas.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I run range point in my 750 and it works well for limited dollars. I have no experience with the 1000 but the 750 will do anything you want it to do in a combine. It too will run yield and moisture if your interested one day, should be adequate for what you want I think. Spend the extra cash on ez pilot over ez steer, much nicer.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
We absolutely can't stand WASS in anything anymore. I suppose if your first guidance is WASS you'll get used to the line shift and bumping it but once your on RTK and how it should be its REALLY hard to go back.

You might want to ask what monitor for sure will interface with your new combine for yield monitoring. I know you said you won't be using it but honestly I can't imagine not having it any more.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We absolutely can't stand WASS in anything anymore. I suppose if your first guidance is WASS you'll get used to the line shift and bumping it but once your on RTK and how it should be its REALLY hard to go back.

You might want to ask what monitor for sure will interface with your new combine for yield monitoring. I know you said you won't be using it but honestly I can't imagine not having it any more.
Different areas and crops, if I were growing corn, soybeans, canola, wheat, ect...... I would be interested in yield mapping. A. seed.......not so much, the yield has more to do with bees, weather and water than any fertilizer so yield mapping wouldn't help me on the majority of my acres.

I run RTK on all my tractors and one sprayer, in rill irrigated country we are just in a different world with rows for water ect..... Sprayers won't follow a row even with RTK:mad:

Anyhow, I totally agree with you if I was doing those crops.....I'd be doing the yield mapping and variable rate seed and fert. :)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
X2!

If you can get by with the 750 it would take up less space in the cab. The FMX is huge and just for guidance it is a waste of space...and visibility. I have 262 receivers with RTK radios and feed that signal with a power/data cable to my 500's on my swathers, works great!:) Can't buy a 500 anymore though.:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it were me, I'd go with the FM1000. Bigger screen, more upgradeability if you ever do decide you need it, and in my opinion much easier to work with. I also like the layout of the 1000 a lot more. But, the 750 will do exactly what you're wanting. I don't know how many cameras you want to run, but if you want to run four cameras you'll need to go with the FM1000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.