The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have got ez 500 with ez boom.the ez boom is starting to play up ,have already lost 1 section ,i brought this equipment 2nd hand . my dealer tells this is common with the ez boom and they cant be repaired ? upgrade to 750 & field iq ? has anyone had this problem, & is the 750 & field iq the way to go ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would stay away from the 750 and Field IQ. The 750 is very limited with it's capabilities, not to mention functionality (the cancel button right next to the accept button). As far as field IQ goes Trimble has a long way to go. We used to run all trimble on planters and sprayers, so I have spent a lot of time with their field IQ. There problems range, the most common one is that the field IQ will be lost. Sometimes a simple turning off and on will fix, next time you may have to completely recalibrate system, this last planting season I had to recalibrate 5 times in a row on my planter before it worked. On our sprayers we never could get it to run right. If you are simply looking to run a sprayer I am a big fan of the Raven systems. From my experience if you are just looking to steer Trimble is fine, but their implement control is absolutely horrible.(After three years of fighting we now run JD planters with 2630's and Ravens in our sprayers.)

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
I would stay away from the 750 and Field IQ. The 750 is very limited with it's capabilities, not to mention functionality (the cancel button right next to the accept button). As far as field IQ goes Trimble has a long way to go. We used to run all trimble on planters and sprayers, so I have spent a lot of time with their field IQ. There problems range, the most common one is that the field IQ will be lost. Sometimes a simple turning off and on will fix, next time you may have to completely recalibrate system, this last planting season I had to recalibrate 5 times in a row on my planter before it worked. On our sprayers we never could get it to run right. If you are simply looking to run a sprayer I am a big fan of the Raven systems. From my experience if you are just looking to steer Trimble is fine, but their implement control is absolutely horrible.(After three years of fighting we now run JD planters with 2630's and Ravens in our sprayers.)
Strange, I've ran field iq on a couple sprayers with 750 and it controls all 3 tanks on my 3450 flexi cart with FMX controler. I have never had a problem and prefer it. Most accurate system I have used. I have not personally ran raven system. I did have to figure out how to get a VRA map working for a guy I hired to spread urea with his raven system. That was a pain compared to my trimble. Probably because I have never used that system before. Trimble works great. My biggest complaint is you can not offset the position of each section, with raven I have been told you can. The middle section on my truck sparyer in the back. Rest are midmount. I have set overlap at head lands to compensate for this. If you know it, it is not a problem. My first time using the sprayer I had perfect boxes of weeds at the ends of my fields were the mid section missed. Second complaint is with 750 I can not name lines for steering. That becomes a pain trying to figure out which line is which if you like to reuse lines. I may get a different display mainly for this reason. Probably TMX. I do use the maps when I am done with the job. I greatly prefer the maps my trimble makes over the maps the raven makes. Again, maybe because that is what I am used to. No matter what, it is computer and it can give fits at times. Similar to equipment. Go with the dealer with excellent support over the brand name. You will need that support at some point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Strange, I've ran field iq on a couple sprayers with 750 and it controls all 3 tanks on my 3450 flexi cart with FMX controler. I have never had a problem and prefer it. Most accurate system I have used. I have not personally ran raven system. I did have to figure out how to get a VRA map working for a guy I hired to spread urea with his raven system. That was a pain compared to my trimble. Probably because I have never used that system before. Trimble works great. My biggest complaint is you can not offset the position of each section, with raven I have been told you can. The middle section on my truck sparyer in the back. Rest are midmount. I have set overlap at head lands to compensate for this. If you know it, it is not a problem. My first time using the sprayer I had perfect boxes of weeds at the ends of my fields were the mid section missed. Second complaint is with 750 I can not name lines for steering. That becomes a pain trying to figure out which line is which if you like to reuse lines. I may get a different display mainly for this reason. Probably TMX. I do use the maps when I am done with the job. I greatly prefer the maps my trimble makes over the maps the raven makes. Again, maybe because that is what I am used to. No matter what, it is computer and it can give fits at times. Similar to equipment. Go with the dealer with excellent support over the brand name. You will need that support at some point.
Sounds like an FMX would be a lot better fit for your operation. The swath manager feature will allow you to name your lines, and it is a much better display overall. The only thing that the 750 has on the FMX is that it can run boom height control. I'd be a little leary of the TMX for a little while, I'm not sure they've gotten ALL of the bugs out of it. The Trimble rep for the dealer I work for claims they've gotten a lot of those bugs out with new firmware updates, but I'm still being cautious about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.