The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nebraska Harvest Center has had a Trion demo in my area for a while and I was able to get it in some sunflowers today. After fighting my impeller on my 750 in heavy stalks I think Trion is about the best sunflower combine I have ever been around. Probably wasn't designed with sunflowers in mind, but it eliminates the problems that the 750 has because of the single rotor. Not having to divide the flow completely eliminates the worst part about doing sunflowers with the Lexions. This machine is almost identical to the 750/740 machine with the exception of having the single rotor. It has the same size APS, cylinder, impeller and sieves. There is a slight difference in the design of the concave. The impeller doesn't have a center V, just straight paddles. The grain tank is rated at 340 bu. Unfortunately, they decided to use an electric actuator, instead of a hydraulic cylinder to open the grain tank. It is SLOOOOOWWWW. However, you don't have to hold the button to open it. Just depress it briefly and it opens. The unloading auger is the same size as the 750/740. It has an electric actuator on the end that allows you to direct the spout in and out. Lights are LEDs all the way around. Central lube with a chain oiler on the unloading auger chain. Feederhouse fan is way better than our machine.

Engine is a Cummins L9, it was burning about 9 gal/hr in the flowers. It had been in corn before I ran it and the computer was saying 7.4 gal/hr. Most impressive thing about the engine from a sunflower harvesting perspective is the amount of heat shielding they have built into the exhaust system. You can literally hold your bare hand on the exhaust pipe and not get burned. It is warm, but not hot enough to burn you. That should go a long way towards stopping the spontaneous ignition that plagues older machines of any color. There is a big scoop in front of the radiators that pulls all of the air from the top side of the machine. There are also two wipers that brush the screens in front of the radiators. Those wipers have an exhaust fan attached to them that sucks all of the debris out and ejects it outside the scoop. The mechanic told me that it was similar to the pre-dynamic cooling Lexions, except the fan runs all the time the engine is running instead of just when the separator is engaged. Our 750 has dynamic cooling on it and frankly, this system looks much better to me. I have a hard time keeping the radiators clean on my 750, requiring daily attention with an air wand. I checked the Trion at the end of the day and there was no dust buildup between the fins that I could see.

Controls are very similar between the two machines. The Trion has a row of switches that allow you to manually adjust the cylinder speed, concave, sieves, and rotor speed (probably missing a couple of functions). You can also adjust the machine through the touch screen CEBIS and the familiar rotating buttons.

Performance wise it was very similar to what I am seeing out of our 750. I don't think the sample was any better, but the Trion had deep tooth sieves top and bottom. On our 750 we run a TM6 top and blank the returns with no bottom sieve. The return on the Trion ran full all day long, but didn't end up causing me any problem. The Cruise Pilot wasn't set up so I don't know how well it responds. The machine had CEMOS, but no program for sunflowers. I was running around 5 mph all day, flowers were running in the 1000-1200lb range. Moisture sensor and yield monitor weren't calibrated so they were completely useless. Engine was probably averaging about 25-30% load in those conditions. I don't think I would ever see power limiting the machine in the conditions I run in.

Overall I was really impressed. I just need to convince a bunch of you guys to go out and buy these so I can afford a couple in five years. They are taking orders for '22. I was told a machine set up fairly close to what I ran had been quoted at $380,000. That is out of my price range, but I figured it would be quite a bit higher. All of these machines are going to be made in Germany for the time being.

This got a bit long, but thought it might be of interest to someone looking for a class 7 machine.

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
I’m curious how this will be in small grains as the sieve load could be uneven.
Fence Mesh Wire fencing Composite material Animal feed

Twin rotor hybrid shoe load not even all the time either.
I’m working on it.
Most impressive thing about the engine from a sunflower harvesting perspective is the amount of heat shielding they have built into the exhaust system. You can literally hold your bare hand on the exhaust pipe and not get burned. It is warm, but not hot enough to burn you. That should go a long way towards stopping the spontaneous ignition that plagues older machines of any color.

There is a big scoop in front of the radiators that pulls all of the air from the top side of the machine. There are also two wipers that brush the screens in front of the radiators. Those wipers have an exhaust fan attached to them that sucks all of the debris out and ejects it outside the scoop. The mechanic told me that it was similar to the pre-dynamic cooling Lexions, except the fan runs all the time the engine is running instead of just when the separator is engaged. Our 750 has dynamic cooling on it and frankly, this system looks much better to me. I have a hard time keeping the radiators clean on my 750, requiring daily attention with an air wand. I checked the Trion at the end of the day and there was no dust buildup between the fins that I could see.
Heat isolation had to happen after dynamic cooling put the engine in stagnant air, they had created a fire trap heat box.

Surprised at your cooling system description and your dislike of dynamic cooling.
Once fire issue was solved I’ve found dynamic cooling totally maintenance free.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m curious how this will be in small grains as the sieve load could be uneven. What size is the rotor?
The rotor is bigger, but not much bigger than the twin rotors. I was expecting the single rotor to be twice as large as the twins, but it isn't. It also has 4 sets of rotor covers, instead of the 2 sets that our 750 has.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is a minor detail, but I find it very interesting that they have an oiler on the unloading chain. I'm seriously thinking of putting one on our 585s.
Wasn't this oiler standard since day one of Lexions? I mean like since 1995?
This little brush that spreads some oil on the chain each time you engage the unloading auger?

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
Wasn't this oiler standard since day one of Lexions? I mean like since 1995?
This little brush that spreads some oil on the chain each time you engage the unloading auger?
Not in North America (NA). Ever.
The chains on the new, larger machine are so small (short) that an oiler would be of little value.

·
Registered
675 Posts
View attachment 163970
Twin rotor hybrid shoe load not even all the time either.
I’m working on it.

Heat isolation had to happen after dynamic cooling put the engine in stagnant air, they had created a fire trap heat box.

Surprised at your cooling system description and your dislike of dynamic cooling.
I’m talking uneven sieve load Don like can happen on a JD sts series. They have rotor covers that you clip on to try and level sieve load but that is really a fruitless endeavor as one side needs covered when tough in morning amd at night and the other side during heat of day basically.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not in North America (NA). Ever.
The chains on the new, larger machine are so small (short) that an oiler would be of little value.
Ok, I wasnt aware of that.
I still remember my training from 2003 where they insisted that you shouldn't ever do any additional lubrication to the chain. And that a wrong lubricant would damage the little O-rings.

Anyway; I still don't see the advantages for the Trion here in our region. But we don't have sunflowers ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
I’m talking uneven sieve load Don like can happen on a JD sts series. They have rotor covers that you clip on to try and level sieve load but that is really a fruitless endeavor as one side needs covered when tough in morning amd at night and the other side during heat of day basically.
I was a bit surprised Deere did nothing about threshing aggressiveness, separation and shoe distribution from the cab on the X9.
Stone age material.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Local salesman bragged up the single rotor in soybeans. I can see how not dividing the material flow into the rotors could be a significant improvement in green stem beans. He claimed it could run with a 740 or 750

The unit I looked at had the chain oiler and an o-ring chain if I recall. I thought that was strange. It had centralized grease banks but no auto lube. Cylinder hi/low shifting was done with a hydraulic valve turned with wrench/key.

I thought the machine had many nice improvements

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Here are a couple of pictures of my radiators. I think this is about 300 acres of accumulated dust. This really isn't that uncommon, I see it in wheat, barley, oats and millet as well.
Hood Grille Automotive tire Yellow Wood
Wood Road surface Automotive tire Flooring Floor

I don't know how many acres it has been on the demo since the radiators were blown out. They weren't done when I got it and I did 95 acres of sunflowers. This is what they look like.
Grille Mesh Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Fender
Grille Mesh Composite material Gas Automotive exterior

I have taken the wiper off my radiators because one of the coolers that hangs on the underside of the screen has the brackets broken off and I haven't had a chance to get it repaired. I can't say that the degree of buildup on my radiators changed after I took it off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are a couple of pictures of the exhaust system on our machine. If you look, you can see the dust that has been charred on the manifold and the exhaust pipe where the heat shielding isn't present. This is after about 100 acres.
Automotive tire Gas Composite material Automotive wheel system Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

This is the same system on the Trion after a similar number of acres:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car
Hood Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper

There really isn't any way to stop the dust from accumulating on the exhaust system. It doesn't matter what color the machine is. With the shielding across the entire exhaust system on the Trion the heat never got high enough to end up with any scorching of the dust. Our problems come from varieties that have more oil in the dust than the ones we are doing this year, higher oil content means lower combustion temperature and higher risk of fires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A couple of final pictures. The first is the armrest with its row of manual switches. The second is the backend of the rotor. Gearbox looks very similar to the size used in the 750. Rotor is driven from the left hand side instead of right.
Plant Vehicle Fixture Window Automotive design
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk Gas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Puzzle solved!
For me anyway.
You are missing the self rotating cleaning arm.
Mine stays completely clean all conditions, several units.

Finally, a decent cup holder location!
I took it off when one of my coolers broke the mounting brackets and sagged down against the arm. I was having the same problem before I took it off though. When I have a chance to pull the cooler off and repair it I will put the arm back on.

·
Super Moderator
4,558 Posts
Something definitely wrong with sealing or something in your dymamic cooling system.

The system on a Trion 740 is likely good for that power level but the dynamic cooling would be needed at power levels of the 8900 and beyond.

Nice review.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts