The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again I am trying to get grain loss monitor system to work before harvest starts. :confused:
1. I installed my monitor console in a neighbors 8780 and monitor works good in test mode and confirmed that it works good.
2. I have run continuity check on all wires from electrical panel back to GLS pads and from electrical panel to monitor console and from control module switchs(selector switch & sensitivity) plug to monitor console.
3. There is 8v at the pads.
4. installed new pads
5. opened all connectors and cleaned with contact cleaner and added electrical grease.

Everything test out good but Grain loss still does not work at all
Does anyone have any enlightening ideas that I have missed?
So confused :confused: :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well grinded all GLM pad mounting brakets and frame and reinstalled with battery post protector. Slight improvement, but right rotor lighting up left rotor led light. Right shoe pad now working sometimes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YAHHH! Thats what I've been doing for 6 years now since I've had my 8780. :)LOL
checked the GLM system over many times and can't find anything wrong. Just thought it would be a nice piece of technology to have working to help set the combine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the Grain Loss Monitor system dependable or am I wasting my time trying to get this working? Do you guys set your combine as per your Grain Loss Monitor? or you still walk the back of combine to check grain on the ground?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't find our Massey 9895 loss monitor useful. You can be losing lots and it won't show on the monitor. Canola is especially bad. If it broke, I wouldn't bother fixing it.

There is a few possible reasons for the poor performance. First, quality of implementation matters. The piezoelectric pads produce voltage spikes when seeds hit them and the electronics to take the signal and produce the operator display are important. I'm not sure if Massey does a good job. I think it is also difficult to detect which voltage spikes are grain vs MOG. Any kind of bump or tap on the sensor will produce some voltage (deformation of the piezoelectric material). When feedrates get high, the sensor can get covered by so much straw and chaff that the grain just flies over the top. This is one reason why people think driving faster can lower loss. Another problem is the location of a pads. Generally there is one at the back of the rotor and while that's not a terrible position, the lost seeds might miss it. Likewise, your shoe may throw the seeds somewhere that misses the sensor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A neighbor near by runs a Gleaner. They follow their grain loss monitor to the T. Monitor says more they give her more. Maybe its a different system but you would think if AGCO can get it right for one they would get it right for the other? Thanks for your input and I will now stop pulling my hair out on this one.
Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.