The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In terms of efficiency, do you think there is any advantage to having bales tub ground prior to making a TMR or can a vertical mixer with knives do the same job for the same money?

I was just discussing it amongst friends and we wondered if anyone noted a significant cost or time savings either way. Mix times would be longer if you dropped in whole bales, but there is a cost to tub grinding too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
my experience will not be perfectly relevant, but here it is anyways...

We milk 300+ 2x a day, have close to 700 head on the place at any given time. We have a 4 auger horizontal mixer and a tub grinder. Our tub grinder is also set up to grind our grain when the appropriate screens and hopper is installed (can be changed over in 1/2 with 2 guys once you know what you're doing)

We value the consistency that comes from blending bales from different fields a lot! We can have 2-3 fields represented in a pile of hay that lasts 2 weeks, and keep that same mix up for 5-6 months before we have to switch and resample nutrients to make sure the overall tmr is where it needs to be.

We can also grind 2 weeks worth of barley in an afternoon. We have augers setup with a tractor w/a murphy switch so that we walk away once it's running well, check on it every hour or two, etc...unload auger is driven by orbital motor from tractor's remotes, pto drives all grinding functions and conveyor makes a lovely pile for easy loading in our commodity shed

all in all, we really do like having our tubgrinder, although we have never tried a vertical mixer either...

from a labour point of view, we can have a less experienced operator do the grinding for a 2 week batch of hay (usually three separate piles for the different diets on the farm) in a 4 hour stretch, and feeding can be done in 3-4 hours every morning by a more experienced operator...

·
Registered
523 Posts
It is a lot quicker to make a load if it is pre ground. We use to drop whole bales in r tmr it would take close to a 1hr to make a load of feed. We have since bought a tub grinder and grind into a pile and them dump into tmr it takes about 15 min if using all dry feed. This year we r using silage bales we put them in whole and them put the dry feed it takes about 1\2 hour to mix a load up. If we r putting grain in we will put that in first. A tmr will do the job but it takes a lot longer to get the same results as using a tub grinder. The down side is tub grinder need a lot of hp to run properly

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
We get a custom Tubgrinder in. Mind you we have been waiting for a few weeks now. We run 4 auger horizontal mixers. I still think it is way faster and more efficient to Tubgrind. It's nice to only need one tractor to feed with. If you had a twin screw vertical mixer you would need more hp on it and a separate tractor to load it.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
We fooled around with a vertical mixer for awhile, went back to conventional feed boxes and a Roto Grind. A good operator can grind thirty ton in four hours with the old Roto Grind and 2390 which would be good for a week. Our feed guy grinds enough for two days in about two hours but he operates like it's his very first time every time... (You can get cheap labor or you can get good labor, it's very difficult to get both.) We feed about fifteen loads of silage,chop, grain mix each day with one guy doing it all including grinding and milling. We use a hammer mill to grind the grains.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Like others have said it takes a lot longer to chop hay up with the vert mixer. We get a custom grinder to come in and grind for us. He is close so he comes every month when we call. We grind about 150 to 200 bales in 6-8 hours.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I just use a bale shredder. Doesn't size as nice as the H-1000 sitting in the shed but takes a lot less diesel and time. Won't be going back to the tubgrinder any time soon. By the time you get to the field anyways always have a good mix if the knives are good anyways. This is with a vertical single screw.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Guess it depends how much you have to do. If you are only mixing a load or 2 per day, I'd just grind it with vertical mixer. Also depends on the hay, nice dry, high quality hay will grind up pretty quick in the mixer, if it's tough lower quality stuff, then I'd say tub grind. I'm not a fan of a big pile of ground hay sitting outside soaking up moisture either, but if you could grind inside, then that would make for the fastest mixing and feeding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.