The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Andy from Agritune upgrade the files on the ECU on the Lexion to give her a bit more torque and save a bit more fuel. I've only harvested about 30t of sorghum since the tune but **** what a difference she's gone from sitting around 90-100% power to about 65% the 30t I did do, it was misting rain so it was tough and was yielding 5t/ha and all in the flag but she just held her revs and went like a freight train, not much of a test I know but I have only 130ha's of corn & mung beans left to go in a fortnight but it looks good at this stage. The neighbors had their round bale cotton pickers done they say they are saving 15 litres an hour with no drop in revs during the wrap process, impressive.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Wow, how big is an engine on a cotton picker?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
What kind of power? I would think a cotton picker would only need a hundred fifty horsepower at the most. What part of harvesting cotton takes so much power?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The JD cotton pickers with the round baler setup are around that 530hp on the newer models and 500 on the earlier ones give or take a couple of hp, they are about 40 tons ful of water, fuel and carrying one bale and with the second bale in the chamber while they are making a bale they suck the the hp I am pretty sure they are the 13.5 litre JD motor they are a huge machine but they do a brilliant job

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Well that is incredible, is there a good video of one of these running? At Tulare last winter they have a display of one cotton picker "head?" setup, lots of moving pieces, pretty neat.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I wouldn't trust the engine load %, fuel usage monitor, etc... on any machine after a "tune". I am sure most good tunes give more power, and many can help save on fuel, or get more done in an hour, but the monitor aspect of it I don't think can be relied on. The old fashion check with the fuel hose and meter is still a better judge, especially after a tune.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Your right Seedcleaner as I do more work I will get more of an idea what's going on, you can use it as a comparison as a before and after, though not an exact science but a good indicator. Before the tune I always had the power % running at close to 100%, if I backed off and ran it at 85-90% the engine would always run a couple of deg cooler on the hottest days during harvest but the grain loss would be nothing I want the capacity of the separation system to be my limiting factor not power and the grain extension above the exhaust was very black more so than any other Lexion I have seen around, so the whole exercise was done to see I f the tune would increase power decrease fuel usage help improve engine operating temp. Pretty impressed on the power side of things the rest will become clearer as time goes by ;)

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Did you check every thing was upto spec on the engine first? Boost leaks, wast gate adjustment, fuel transfer pressure and a run over the top end?

Madsnake

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When the CAT guys last checked the motor out every thing was within spec so no dramas there. The guys with the cotton pickers have picked up 15litres an hour with no temp issues like you would get with a plug in type chip we have always had issues with intake air temp in hot conditions on harvesters or pickers but no troubles using them on tractors, most gains will normally be seen in litres/ha, I will keep you posted on what I find as time goes by it's a shame I only have 120ha's to go

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The little bit of sorghum I've done was not much of an indicator I actually spent more time turning than harvesting the beans and corn won't be much of a test either for t/hr but it should give me an idea on engine performance and whether or not it was worth while getting it done. Look them up agri tune Australia or follow them on Facebook

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love this combine the more I use it and understand it the more I like it, over the years I have had rotary case and john deere's and if you had dramas threshing a crop you only had a short amount of time to get it out of crop mat going through the rotors with the Lexion you have so much more room to get the job done it goes about 25-30% harder than my old 9770sts in easy to thresh crops and a lot more difficult crops. In saying that the JD and Case are great machines as well and I will always recommend them to people who are looking for a good combine but **** this Lexion has a big appetite ;)

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Well forget about less fuel usage, there's no free lunch. More power more fuel more temperature.
That isnt true. A good tune will change fuel injection timing, duration, and injection pulses per cycle. I am no expert but these alterations can give more power on less fuel.

Changing the timing on an old gas carbureted engine can give more power on the same fuel, as an example.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts