The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Will u harvest all your crop STO?

Sorry to hear, hence why I say u need $400 a tonne to risk all this cash...

Hope we get some next week, anything may help a little..

They were flat out cutting crops for hay today around Horsham

Ant..

·
Registered
509 Posts
We will have enough to go again but definately not the finish to a promising start. Oh well onwards and upwards. If we stay though this year think we have a good chance at most of them.

Good thing s the chem fallow nice and clean so good start to next year.

Richard

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
MS, I never said raising your cost!, I'm talking about the profit bud, my time in mining has taught me don't be scared to make big profits, banks do it, countless other industries, good times don't last, but fact is alot of cash is Outland for sketchy returns, high risk should be high reward.

If I got $400 a tonne I could make my $ per tonne cheaper..

Ant...

·
Registered
255 Posts
We all know that Aussie farmers have become very efficient and years like this prove that point. In every district there will be some farms with better crops than others and it will the guys that have saved every possible drop of moisture that will have given themselves the best chance of a good result.
I can see Madsnakes point, the only years we see $400 wheat bugger all people are lucky enough to be able to cash in. So we have managed to get by in most years on far less.
But I also agree with X80, our costs keep going up and it is getting harder and harder to be able to put money aside (FMD's, off farm investments etc) to be able to fall back on in tough seasons.
Sure, rain is the most important factor, but if wheat prices kept up with input costs farming would be a lot more rewarding and more of our children would stay on the land rather than leave to try and make a reasonable wage somewhere else.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dryland crops around here should do over half a tonne /acre.

I am irrigating my wheat for the second time at the moment and expect to have to do a third irrigation. Water price has gone through the roof this year with temporary water selling down to $110/ML and some sales up to $140/ML.

With all the water deliveree charges and fixed water costs it will cost me over $400/ha just for water.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I like the dairy guys attitude..when it was $4 per kg, they are like if we don't get $4.50 we go broke..protest in the streets etc. then when they get $5 kg, they say we won't be in the black until $5.50...knifes edge. Season just gone 6.15kg, now they say if it drops below $6 we doomed...

They still sell milk for $1 a litre on the shelf why all this happened..

So $400 wheat a tonne will have nill affect on supermarket price...

Can I point out dairy has the lowest average age of all the main farm sectors...

Ant..

·
Registered
3,125 Posts

I am irrigating my wheat for the second time at the moment and expect to have to do a third irrigation. Water price has gone through the roof this year with temporary water selling down to $110/ML and some sales up to $140/ML.

With all the water deliveree charges and fixed water costs it will cost me over $400/ha just for water.
Yikes! I just crunched some numbers -- at $140/Ml, that works out to about $345/ac for me to apply 24in to a 121ac circle, and that's without pumping costs or incidental expenses (sprinkler repairs, etc.). We certainly wouldn't be growing so much corn in my part of the world if we had to pay that much for water.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It's not a competition but we've had 40 mm since sowing. Late access to a lease block has hurt but clean for next yr. 180 mm for the yr.
I forgot to say that of that 360pts since sowing 122pts fell end of May and 240pts since which 53pts was the highest. Still a lot better of than up North. But I suppose we all get our turn at a drought

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
MS, I never said raising your cost!, I'm talking about the profit bud, my time in mining has taught me don't be scared to make big profits, banks do it, countless other industries, good times don't last, but fact is alot of cash is Outland for sketchy returns, high risk should be high reward.

If I got $400 a tonne I could make my $ per tonne cheaper..

Ant...
Not scarred of making a profit and definitely not scarred of selling grain over $220t, and the higher it gose the more aggressive it is. How many years have you sold all your wheat over $350t? If its so easy to sell wheat for $400t why do you still need to work in mining? Have a mate that sells large % of crop every year over $350t.

If Rio are so clever at making profit why is there share price below $60? Was over $77 at one point a few year ago.

Madsnake

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts

I thought you might have elaborated on the "fixes charges" fraud that have endured for 2 decades such as the 15% water we "gave" to government for the so-called environmental flows ...... & we still pay the fixed charges (delivery entitlements DE's) on that water:mad: To put that into context for those who may not know, if you have 2000 DE's & 2000 WE's (water entitlements) & the seasonal allocation is say 40%, you pay fixed charges of about $19/meg ($38,000) but you only get 40% of the water. :eek:
Could you imagine the same type of fraud enacted on city people in something they could relate to i.e. a fuel tank tax for the size of your fuel tank in you car. Say you have an 80litre fuel tank & the tax is $1/lt but every time you go to fill it up you're only allowed 27% or 40% - whatever the allocation is announced - but you still have to pay 100% of the tank tax - fixed charges! City people would riot in the street - why do we food producers - put up with crap & bleeding us dry?
The agreement that these fixes charges on water we don't get, i.e. 15%, was supposed to end in 2012. Environmental water has a higher preference in dam storage & flow rate, than water for producing food. I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather my plate covered with steak, chicken, pork, fish, salad or vegetables than tree bark, wood chips, frogs, wild pigs, rabbits & native grass!
Yes ........... end of rant.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
16 and 20 mm since end july and hot wind the killer.
Things ive noticed this year kord and grenade trying to fill full heads, mace has tipped off and trying to fill half.

Will be interesting to see if mace has big grains and others high screenings
barley hanging on

Lupins I think will make average

Peas not sure looked quite good but not sure.

Vetch just hasn't got the growth, good plant numbers
but done nothing in so called spring.

Canola patches of it outstanding maybe 50 even 60% rest doubt will yield varies so much within paddock.

When I plant hope for 1.8 t ha budgets done on 1.4 for cereals still hoping for 1 t ha if we don't get to many more blasting winds, I have about my farm is about 10% serious stone 25% rubbly soil 25% good soil,35% good sand and 5% **** sand, don't crop the serious stone and rubbly soil is year in year out rotation rest continuous crop.

Pastures we great mid august now just look like summer cut back stock a little back in feb march when weather bureau we warning of dry spring and got rid of all surplus stock mid September, just finished shearing 6 months early another drought management tool.

Doing a local crop tour next week with a mate hopefully he has crops scattered everywere pencilled in ahalf to to look at each others crops and many others will let you know.

Will start a thread about multi peril crop insurance please respond if you use it or considering it.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Not scarred of making a profit and definitely not scarred of selling grain over $220t, and the higher it gose the more aggressive it is. How many years have you sold all your wheat over $350t? If its so easy to sell wheat for $400t why do you still need to work in mining? Have a mate that sells large % of crop every year over $350t.

If Rio are so clever at making profit why is there share price below $60? Was over $77 at one point a few year ago.

Madsnake
Geez your hard work to get a pay rise out off!!!

Ant...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
on news last night bhp driving down iron price in wa to ultimately gain more market share is our iron ore out of Australia not price competitive? ms or x80 will help me

anyway got go back out side naked rain dancing ...... what a sight......not

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.