The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2000 model 2388 with 3000 hours on it and as far as I know it has never been turned up. Will it hurt it to boost it up a little now with the high hours on it? I had it pulling down on me some last year in good, tough cutting beans and thought it could use a little more umph but don't wanna hurt it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Best stock up on spare belts if you turn that screw.That year is well before the bigger vary speed pulleys and longer rotor belt.
You could try a few more rpm on the rotor and put rear cage vanes to full advance. This reduces load a bit and opens up the mat allowing better separation and less rotor loss. Seemed to work for us but others don't like the idea one bit.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Do you have an afx or afx style impeller kit? If not sart there, if you still want more 30 hp shouldn't hurt, that's about 1/3 turn on the screw. Take lots of care to line up the drive pulley, if it is perfectly squared up and in line with the driven pulley the belts last a lot longer. Also put the heavy replacement spring in the torque sensing pulley. After doing all that the belt life is dramatically improved.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If you feel you are low on power check your fuel pressure. One of your lift pumps might be weak. Electric, piston (on engine) or both. The overflow valve on the injection pump could be low too. You can check out Torkteknology for overflow valves and testing equipment. On all the Bosch P7100 pumps I've check they've been low or not a steady 35 psi. For the governor to work properly you need good pressure. It's easy to change pumps and not that expensive. Don't forget filters too.

·
Registered
790 Posts
All the hillside 2388's in the area have the fuel screw turned up about a full turn and the hydro pressure turned up to about 8000 to 8200 psi. The one I am driving has 1500 hours on it and still has the original rotor belt and has not shown any other problems associated with the increased power. A friend bought the other 23 we had set up the same and to my knowledge has had no engine troubles or otherwise and that machine has probably over 4000 hours on it.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of good ideas here guys. How do you align the pulleys flyboy? I just installed a new rotor belt a few weeks ago and I didn't read anywhere where it was talking about lining up the pulleys. Just how to adjust for the proper width at the driven pulley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts