The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the forum,

I have never even heard of a window blowing out of a combine like that, wierd. I was going to say if it was extremely hot out, but in the morning I can't imagine it could be hot enough.

As far as your question in regards to the flex header , not sure never used one but someone on here will know...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I only have experience with soybeans using a flex head and the 9600 and 9610 combines, but for a 9860 a 30' head would probably work fine, but a 36' would seem to be much better. You might want to check that your combine has the electronic controls for the header hieght control too (maybe they all do now). Some guys use flex heads without it (manually with your thumb on the button most of the time), but... I think JD makes a very good flex head.

Don't know about combine windows, but I have seen something like that in a door window of a pickup before.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have heard of windows blowing out on different machinery, it's not common but it happens.

I have used a 930f and a 36ft 974MD on those crops. Would like to try a 635 someday. If you don't have contour on the combine my suggestion would be 974 or the newer fd70. I have not ran the fd70 but I assume it should as good or better than the 974. You will not like a header that does not float. cutter bar tilt is a nice also. You will also need an auger on the draper for the peas

·
Registered
136 Posts
Was there anyone mowing and maybe a rock went flying? Or hunting near by?
Flex headers work in the flex or bolt them up and you have a ridged header. If you need to cut on the ground a flex header is the way to go.

·
Registered
601 Posts
get a flex head now!!! we used our 936d to cut lentils for two years and d**n near destroyed it. its just not meant to cut that low. pushes dirt like crazy and wear out the end shoe plates pretty easily. Peas if they are standing good can be done with a 936 as sometimes you dont have to be all the way on the ground with some of the newer varietys of peas. But for lentils buy a flex and spend a little extra and get a 630 hydraflex over the older 930F as the hydraflex is the cats meow. You can change your cutterbar pressure from the cab and lock it rigid from there also. Also it will hold value better than the older 930 flex heads. we bough a 630f and its the best thing we did or we would have totalled out a 936d by now.l

M

·
0 Posts
Hello i am new to this board but i have a few questions.

We had our front window on our CTS combine blow up yesterday morning yes blow up, heard a loud bang walked around the yard and looked at the combines and the window was completely shattered and glass for about 10-15 feet away, it didnt fall out, it blew up. is this a common problem with windows in a combine?

also

we have a 2005 9860 sts with a 36 foot draper header, and we planted about 3000 acres of peas and lentils this year, im trying to convince my dad to buy a flex header for that combine but he doesn't know if it will work well to combine the lentils. We run a cts, 9650 and 9860, so far we only use the cts for lentils and peas becuase the other two combines have straight cut headers on them and hilly land. Would a 30 foot flex header be good on a 9860?
Thanks, Mike

M

·
0 Posts
well thank you all for your help! i a m thinking a hydraflex would be the best too, the 936d doesnt push dirt quiet often and i always have to adjust the air bags, i am pretty sure my combine has the controls for the header height.

Your not going to believe this. My sister wakes me up this morning to tell me, the side window in my 4410 case sprayer is now shattered.... either someone is shooting my windows out or they are just falling apart.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Like Windchill said, cab glass blowing out does happen, but it is rare.

I doubt your combine was just shot. Why else would the chards fall some 15' away from the machine? Beside, even if it was only an exit, where's a bullet hole or other broken glass from another window. The explosion also rules out rocks.

The tractor window may have been shot out, but you gave no details on direction or even distance of fallen glass.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if someone shot it out the glass would of fell just down not 15 feet away now i am giving my age but when i was young my uncle had a 1965 dodge car and the back window blew out right in the driveway

·
Registered
20 Posts
the 9860 with have all the options to make a flex header work, and the glass in almost all equipment is mad e to pretty much explode it if is hit with something we replace alot of them from rocks hitting them.

M

·
0 Posts
thanks you guys, i got a few questions about 630 F headers, what should we be looking for when were buying one? And how does this hydra flex work exactly? we found a 2004 630F for $22,000 CND hows that price compare ? if its super cheap that usually tells me somethings wrong with it, were planning on putting this on a 2000 9650 combine and keeping the drapers for both combines for cereals.

·
Registered
200 Posts
sounds like you have a new member in your fan club when it comes to windows. a bb gun will take them out, and safety glass can and will blow out for a distance because of all of the stress in it because of how it is made.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
I had a front windshield break on an 05 9860 or a 9750, can't member which.
Was running at the time, a loud pop, shattered but relatively harmless pieces of honeycomb glass all over, inside and outside the cab.
Continued to harvest, no stop (like I could glue all those little pieces back together?
) a much noisier and dusty rest of the night.

Barley of course.
Perfect tailwind on one pass.
Took 2 dumps before trucker noticed.
Just so you know Benny, at the time Agro was 11 shops, they had 7 windshields on hand.
Not in Trochu of course.

Combine had to sit for 24 hours after installation, just like cars and pickups do.

Don

M

·
0 Posts
we'll we bought a 630 hydra flex, 2004, for 20, and its in real nice shape, the guy definietly looked after it. As for the windows, im told if the cab vent is blocked, the cab will pressure up, and bust the window out just like what happened, doesnt take too terribly much of a temperature change, but who knows, gotta replace the windows either way, so yea

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Our combine has some sort of safety switch and if the window breaks it shuts down, same as if the air conditioner were to malfunction.

I hope your not saying I'll be needing one this fall.

·
Super Moderator
2,520 Posts
No, it's just you said you had never heard of one breaking but
with that sort of stock they obviously do, on rare occasions.
There was no accounting for why mine broke, it was warranted.
That windshield has many applications and more than just on Deere equipment.
I assume your first sentence should have one of these "
" at the end?

Don

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, it's just you said you had never heard of one breaking but
with that sort of stock they obviously do, on rare occasions.
There was no accounting for why mine broke, it was warranted.
That windshield has many applications and more than just on Deere equipment.
I assume your first sentence should have one of these "
" at the end?

Don

Just giving you the gears I know you weren't trying to send me bad karma.

As far as the
at the end of the first sentence, depends if it's 30 above or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts