The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at upgrading our combine(TX 66) and are looking at the 7010 for the replacement.

Our salesman say there is around 20% increase in capacity over the TX66. Is that right or should we expect more/less?

We only do small grains (wheat/oats/barley and canola) but LOTS of straw. That is where the TX has its troubles, is with the amount of straw.

We were only averaging 5 acres/hour last year in the canola and that was in a 21" swath.

We would like to improve on that. But jumping to the 8010 is not a option for our acres at this time. Down the road maybe?

Any help?

Graylake

·
Registered
206 Posts
it deppends on conditions in dump green conditions TX is unmatched (may be CX coud doe better) but in terms of grain quality and output I would go for 7010

·
Registered
152 Posts
hi , got tx66 and 8010 if sun shines 8010 does 20% more in wht in bly and oats and canola 8010 does 40% more ,in damp cond. you will not like 8010 or any other rotor you burn lots of more fuel and not gain a lot more cap. I would say 15-20%.Have a look at the big CX from CNH If you go for rotor get 8010 should be almost same price as 7010.

00.2 snorton

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes this is barley and It is wheat completely lye down a lot of grass (we had a nasty weather last season ) date 2007 08 10. Some more from the same day:

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Graylake what is your limiting factor?
Engine power, cylinder drive or straw bridging over the straw-chopper?

Don

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Don

The limiting factors are engine power and just over all capacity of the machine to handle that much product and not throw it over.

The canola crop was a 65 bu Liberty variety and the swath was 7' wide. So that was probably just as much the problem as the combine. Once we got to the fields with the hail damage and there was less to combine then the productivity increased.

Before swathing the canola was around 5.5' tall. So there is a lot of product to put through the combine. We are just finding that with the crops in this area this combine is having trouble with the amount of straw.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don did you ever try the angled sheet that can be added over the chopper chopper door to change the angle crop drops onto the chopper? We found that virtually eliminated the bridging issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Where were you in 62... I mean 97.

You obviously know how the side sheets taper in, We thought material was bridging cross ways there especially in the conditions Graylakes describes. Your description of the fix was never made aware to me, do you know what year that fix would have happened? I think what made it worse was ours was a TX 68, just that much more through-put.

Don

·
Registered
561 Posts
We had the panels made locally where the idea came from Im not sure. It was not a fix that NH developed. We bassically pop riveted sheets that fit tight at the top of the door in front of the chopper and were about four inchecs away from the bottom towards the chopper or to the rear. They were three pieces so there were narrow pieces on each side of the door and the wide section the same width as the door. Fluffy crops like peas often were the worst ad the sheets worked very well.

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
I know you can grow incredible straw. For any combine to put through. You and your black soil.

I also grow LL canola but we do not grow the straw (usually) but your through-put figures do seem quite low.
I gotta be honest (actually I always am) I don't know.
I think you have mentioned the worst crop, if you upgrade to the 7010 across all crops I suspect you would be happier overall. If you have narrowed it done to this, and, let's face it, at this stage in posts most have, you may as well spring.
Additionally I just made Tony happy, but still no steak for Don.

Don

P.S.
Are you in that club root area?
Ugly situation isn't it?

·
Registered
561 Posts
What part of the combine was having difficulty? Do you have a complete set of rakes installed on the beater directly behind the threshing drum (cylinder). Were you slipping the cylinder belt? Do you have a tourque sensor(ex not a 2speed cylinder)?

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Good to hear that Steigerman. If I would have had that sort of help my combine purchases may have taken a different route.
Steigerman your sort of advise is a great asset to someone on this forum, and after all what a great place to exchange ideas on all things harvesting.
For that I thank you.

Don

·
Registered
561 Posts
THanks. What year was your 68? What model was your Deere? How did they compare? I like combines of all colors if only I could build one with the great features from each machine!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Hear, hear Steigerman!
I think most here are trying to glean as much info as possible to make life different.
To some that means a better way to do something.
To some it a simpler and/or safer way to do things.
To others it is a way to make more money.
Lucky for us we usually can't tell which is which.
As it should be.

Don

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, for right now we are not in the club root area. Hope to keep it that way. I feel bad for the guys that are dealing with that situation right now.

We are URBAN farmers, 1 mile from the city limits. We have a lot of smaller fields. We wouldn't know what to do if we had a field with a straight stretch 1/2 mile long and no trees or sloughs.

The TX handles the barley and wheat fine but the canola slows us down and we don't even what to talk about the oats. The oats usually runs around 140-150 bu with green straw.

We are going to look at the 7010 tomorrow, since we won't be seeding any time soon.

We ended up with just over a foot of snow, how did your area make out?

Graylake

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Sorry your all colors statement threw me.
The 68 was 97. Ran it for 3 years, than 00 9750 through 9860 now 595.
The TX in 97 had a nice cab and controls however three things bugged me:
1. The previously mentioned straw bridging
2. Poor cylinder drive, way more power than belt traction
3. Grain damage, I ran TR from 78 to 96.
Rotaries are pretty much idiot proof (so it was good for me) in the grain damage department.
By rotary I mean any design that accelerates material before threshing it
This excludes:
CTS, Gleaner, (not counting A 85). I think some call these rotaries but they just don't fit the mould.
Lexion has always threshed tangentially.
Oh great, full circle!
Why is everything a trade-off?

Don

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Agree, keeping club root out is critical.
Happy shopping.
You can't drive any direction from the Three Hills/Trochu area that doesn't have more snow.
May start seeding Mon/Tues.

Don

·
Registered
442 Posts
The tx combines had two different straw choppers. My 96 model tx style straw chopper was changed for a while to a different design. Later NH went back to my early style. I wonder if
that straw bridging problem was why they changed back. I have never had a straw bridging
problem unless my knives were wore out in green stem soys. I had to get a piece of sheet metal for the rear
bottom of the chopper housing and found this out looking through the parts website. I had
to identify which chopper I had by looking at the town it was manufactured in on the data plate.
Must have been some fiat factory because the data plate was a fiat plate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts