The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a problem with the u-joint failure on the chopper drive after installing the high speed upgrade and/or with the new fine cut II chopper? I had two fail yesterday in 10 minutes in green stem soybeans.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do they upgrade to a heavier u joint for the high speed one or something. What is actually breaking the cross piece or the housing or maybe can't tell depending on damage. You could always install a way heavier one but if it's breaking the ones that are supposed to be right you will either get it to work with a heavier one or find the next weakest link. Maybe could try a different supplier for the joint incase there was a bad batch or something too. Good luck

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do they upgrade to a heavier u joint for the high speed one or something. What is actually breaking the cross piece or the housing or maybe can't tell depending on damage. You could always install a way heavier one but if it's breaking the ones that are supposed to be right you will either get it to work with a heavier one or find the next weakest link. Maybe could try a different supplier for the joint incase there was a bad batch or something too. Good luck
AGCO did not upgrade the u-joint in the chopper kit. Two have been yoke casting failures and the third just spread. Parts warranty is covering it so far. I've found a heavier one that would bolt right in place but am concerned about what else will break. I would rather not screw up an accelerator roller.

This all started last year when I installed a high speed upgrade to a 7.5" drum chopper. I broke one in green stem soybeans. This year, I installed a fine cut shopper II kit and it's been eating u-joints like candy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When I had a u-joint yoke break on my S-77 it was within 50 feet of cutting after a software upgrade that screwed up the spreader speed control. The spreader stopped and plugged the chopper. After the software was changed back, no more problem.

Now having said that I feel fairly certain that you are having a feeding issue into the chopper and you are getting slugs of material into the chopper and not feeding it evenly. I was told and now believe the u-joint is built the way it is to be a type of safety unite for the chopper. If you put in a heavier u-joint you will only tear up something more expensive. You need to check into how the chopper is being fed.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I had a u-joint yoke break on my S-77 it was within 50 feet of cutting after a software upgrade that screwed up the spreader speed control. The spreader stopped and plugged the chopper. After the software was changed back, no more problem.

Now having said that I feel fairly certain that you are having a feeding issue into the chopper and you are getting slugs of material into the chopper and not feeding it evenly. I was told and now believe the u-joint is built the way it is to be a type of safety unite for the chopper. If you put in a heavier u-joint you will only tear up something more expensive. You need to check into how the chopper is being fed.
Running a 40 ft 9250. All reverse bar removed. Not sure how you feed much smoother then that. Starting to wonder if stationary knives with the new chopper are too much load for the u-joint.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You don't have the stationary knives all the way up do you? They are only supposed to be about half way up if that for beans. On an older 75 we had one time with the fine cut we had the knives all the way up in some real green stem stuff and we started tossing hammers like crazy.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You don't have the stationary knives all the way up do you? They are only supposed to be about half way up if that for beans. On an older 75 we had one time with the fine cut we had the knives all the way up in some real green stem stuff and we started tossing hammers like crazy.
I have always ran the knives full in on past combines in soybeans with no problem. I was told I could do the same with the new chopper but it would take more horsepower. After the second failure, I pulled then knives out half way. The next day I had the third failure. The knives are clear out now. Will see tomorrow if it helps.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Have you tried putting a set of sweeps on the end of the rotor to make sure you are feeding it evenly?
Green steam beans were giving my chopper you no what until I moved the last three sweeps half way into the discharge, then it smoothed out and never sounded like that again. The new machines have every other discharge paddle removed causing slugs to hit the chopper, put sweeps in and it will feed it smoother and more evenly

·
Registered
382 Posts
Friend of mine that has a new 68 just texted me a little bit ago and he has busted his u-joint now too. Must be an issue of not being heavy enough. Agco better be listening on this one. That joint isn't any too heavy and the keyway will need to be beefed up as well cause that will be next. We have sheared that in the past. Better come with a fix now Agco

·
Registered
410 Posts
Put the small drum chopper and speed up kit in our R72 last fall. Never blew a u-joint but we sheared the key in the pulley hub 3-4 times which ruined the hub and shaft. We welded the shaft up and re cut the key way couple times since we didn't have access to parts at that moment. Sheared another one this fall. Put stock pulley back on and have had no more issues. only thing you would hurt on the acellerator roll shaft would be shear key and booger shaft up. It was always the key in the pulley hub that we sheared. Things are a little light duty in this area and as someone else mentioned Gleaner needs to add some steel in places to increase durability. 3000 lbs of steel would go a long way towards bullet proofing some areas and still be much lighter than other color of machine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Khigerd, what Rpm are you running the chopper? I ordered the rodono chopper speed up kit from Mike at precision farm parts. Put the new smaller diameter chopper on, then stayed with the factory speed up (16.5")pulley 2850 rpm. As I looked at this area, told myself somethings gonna give if I speed this up to 3600 with the 21" pulley. I am cutting green leafy milo 5000-7000 # and it is working really well. Do not know why Agco missed this area on beefing up the u-joint. As much as these machines cost, there is really no excuse. For the volume of material that we are putting through these machines.
The u-joint is really a pain in the a** to work on if goes out. Instead of a larger u-joint.Why not a heavy duty collared 1000 pto collared spline coupler?(same as the couplers connected to the final drives) Agco needs a direct # to field engineering dept. as these issues should be addressed quickly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Agco needs to get on board here. Hope I don't start having trouble with this next year now after running one year with the high speed kit and new style chopper.Might have to do some fabricating of my own this winter for preventative maintenance. Don't need down time. You listening Agco????

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.