The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question: All off road diesel fuel has been ULSD since 2010 correct? I was wondering what guys were doing on older engines, 10, 20, 30+ year old engines that were made in the high sulfar era? Are there any special fuel conditioners, etc that anyone is using? I have done some research on the internet and it sounds like most people are saying it doesn't hurt anything to run ULSD in older engines even though the sulfar content is 15 PPM compared to 500 in just Low sulfar diesel. I have heard thought that biodiesel blends helps with some of the lubricity changes and so forth caused by the ulsd. I currently run B20 from a CO-OP. Thanks

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I add 2 stroke motor oil to all my diesel fuel @ 1oz per gallon it supposedly adds some lubricity back to the fuel since the sulfur facilitated as some kind of lubrication throughout the entire fuel system. I dont know much bout the subject other than this is what I do.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
We don't worry about it and it causes no issues.

·
Registered
370 Posts
the 2 stroke oil is great, if you have any lighter weight low ash oil, such as compressor 10 or 20 weight oil will also work well, i have a 6.5 gm with over 500,000 km on it and use this all the time, uses no oil between changes, and when i forget to add it i notice about a 1 mpg difference in mileage..?? what it does i am not sure , but a good friend at an injection shop told me to do this years ago, seems to work ok..

·
Registered
789 Posts
Our fuel supplier adds Schaeffer diesel additive when they get fuel shipments to every gallon, so does our other local gas station. We have had no issues.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Started using Howe's Lube when ultra low sulfur diesel came along. Noticed right away that all the trucks on the highway got better fuel mileage, a couple of the old Cummins powered (from the 80's) showed it the most. We just add it before the fuel truck fills our bulk tank and add to the highway trucks when they fill up at the card locks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We run Stanadyne and sometimes Lucas in all of our Diesel engines. We have a Gleaner and a Deere combine, 20, 30, 40, and 50 series Deere tractors and 66 and 86 series IHC tractors as well as newer Deere tractors and diesel pickups. I am not saying that these additives have been our saving grace, but they have been part of our maintenance practices for a number of years with no major failures with engines or injection pumps. We figure that a little bit extra cost per tank can't hurt for some added upper cylinder lubricant as well an antigel in the cold months. Just what we do anyway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I add 2 stroke motor oil to all my diesel fuel @ 1oz per gallon it supposedly adds some lubricity back to the fuel since the sulfur facilitated as some kind of lubrication throughout the entire fuel system. I dont know much bout the subject other than this is what I do.

So that would be like 128:1 ratio right? A chainsaw is 50:1? Do you notice any smoking with that mixture?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
uls diesel in older engines

I've been adding schaeffer diesel treat 2000 for the last twenty years and haven't had any troubles. One gallon treats 2000 gal. The last I got was $32.46 a gallon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts