The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I had to replace the primary countershaft and gear box on a 9650 walker, because the spline inside wore off. I discovered a grease zerk behind the electric clutch, that lubricates this spline. But the zerk is not documented.
I have found this zerk on STS and 60 series, too, but not on 9610.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Perhaps it is a really high hr. # for servicing. I'll look into it for sure. What is the best way to find it if you're not having to tear something apart?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Zerk is used during assembly of the primary countershaft gearcase. Does not have to be greased unless countershaft gearcase is rebuilt.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's an assembly zerk, does it mean we just don't grease and wait for the spline to wear out?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:Zerk is used during assembly of the primary countershaft gearcase. Does not have to be greased unless countershaft gearcase is rebuilt.
Apparently, we don't have to. If it's not important to Deere to document it in the manual, they should be responsible for any trouble it causes. That's in a perfect world though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"There is a zerk located between the electric clutch and the 90 degree primary countershaft gearbox. It is used for assembly purposes. The cavity is filled with grease to push out air and fill the air gap to keep air and moisture out to prevent corrosion. This is a "lube for life" grease zerk and should not ever need lubing once it is done at the factory."

As per a reliable(?) source.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts